Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Fabian Groffen

Default sleep 1 in misc-functions.sh

The full context of this message is from a thread on gentoo-alt ml:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/msg_db73b1a140fd958efb88f2437170646d.xml

Long story short, this person has to deal with a fileserver that sets
the rw world bits on for all files that are created.
While I don't think the suggested patch is fair (this is obviously a
very badly configured fileserver), I do wonder if the "sleep 1" that is
in the code is actually desired. In case we want it, I would suggest we
move down the "sleep 1" so it's only done once for the entire list with
files.

Can we use eqawarn in bin/misc-functions.sh:177 instead and avoid the sleep?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday 20 October 2011 07:20:14 Fabian Groffen wrote:
> The full context of this message is from a thread on gentoo-alt ml:
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/msg_db73b1a140fd958efb88f2437170646d.
> xml
>
> Long story short, this person has to deal with a fileserver that sets
> the rw world bits on for all files that are created.
> While I don't think the suggested patch is fair (this is obviously a
> very badly configured fileserver), I do wonder if the "sleep 1" that is
> in the code is actually desired. In case we want it, I would suggest we
> move down the "sleep 1" so it's only done once for the entire list with
> files.
>
> Can we use eqawarn in bin/misc-functions.sh:177 instead and avoid the
> sleep?

or have it sleep once overall instead of per file
-mike

Old 10-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Zac Medico

On 10/20/2011 05:22 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2011 07:20:14 Fabian Groffen wrote:
>> The full context of this message is from a thread on gentoo-alt ml:
>> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/msg_db73b1a140fd958efb88f2437170646d.
>> xml
>>
>> Long story short, this person has to deal with a fileserver that sets
>> the rw world bits on for all files that are created.
>> While I don't think the suggested patch is fair (this is obviously a
>> very badly configured fileserver), I do wonder if the "sleep 1" that is
>> in the code is actually desired. In case we want it, I would suggest we
>> move down the "sleep 1" so it's only done once for the entire list with
>> files.
>>
>> Can we use eqawarn in bin/misc-functions.sh:177 instead and avoid the
>> sleep?
>
> or have it sleep once overall instead of per file
> -mike

Fixed in git now:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=a5968f7d9b1c17568fba27f7b7f d284b9431802d

--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 10-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Zac Medico

On 10/20/2011 07:18 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 05:22 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Thursday 20 October 2011 07:20:14 Fabian Groffen wrote:
>>> The full context of this message is from a thread on gentoo-alt ml:
>>> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/msg_db73b1a140fd958efb88f2437170646d.
>>> xml
>>>
>>> Long story short, this person has to deal with a fileserver that sets
>>> the rw world bits on for all files that are created.
>>> While I don't think the suggested patch is fair (this is obviously a
>>> very badly configured fileserver), I do wonder if the "sleep 1" that is
>>> in the code is actually desired. In case we want it, I would suggest we
>>> move down the "sleep 1" so it's only done once for the entire list with
>>> files.
>>>
>>> Can we use eqawarn in bin/misc-functions.sh:177 instead and avoid the
>>> sleep?
>>
>> or have it sleep once overall instead of per file
>> -mike
>
> Fixed in git now:
>
> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=a5968f7d9b1c17568fba27f7b7f d284b9431802d

Output is condensed now: