Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 AM
"Lanza Fabrizio"

Default manual uninstall

Title: Messaggio

*Hi,
I need to manually
uninstall a package (without emerge --unmerge). How do I tell emerge that a
package is not installed (even if it is)? (I basically need to force a
reinstall, for a catalyst issue.)
*
*Another good
question is: how does portage know that a package is actually
installed?
*
*Thank
you.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday 14 February 2008, Lanza Fabrizio wrote:
> I need to manually uninstall a package (without emerge --unmerge).

not supported

> How
> do I tell emerge that a package is not installed (even if it is)? (I
> basically need to force a reinstall, for a catalyst issue.)

you unmerge it ... if you insist on modifying the backend information, then
see:

> Another good question is: how does portage know that a package is
> actually installed?

portage maintains installed package information in /var/db/pkg/
-mike

Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 AM
"Alec Warner"

On 2/14/08, Lanza Fabrizio <Fabrizio.Lanza@insiel.it> wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to manually uninstall a package (without emerge --unmerge).

Er, manually meaning 'I want to delete anything it installed by hand'?
or 'I want to run the phases by hand'?

Why doesn't emerge -C work for this case?

> How do I
> tell emerge that a package is not installed (even if it is)? (I basically
> need to force a reinstall, for a catalyst issue.)

emerge <package> will reinstall it...