Old 02-03-2008, 04:33 AM
Daniel Barkalow

Default Auto-select slots based on system configuration

It seems to me like there are a number of things that should be able to
hint that you want some particular slots of particular packages, such that
--depclean doesn't remove them and emerge world updates them.

For example, it shouldn't remove the version of gentoo-sources that your
/usr/src/linux symlink points to. It shouldn't remove the version of emacs
you've got eselected. It shouldn't remove a version of tomcat that you've
got in your default runlevel. It shouldn't remove the Java VM that
java-config is set to.

For each of these, I think it should handle this information as if the
particular slot were in your world file, so long as the system is
configured that way (that is, it shouldn't actually record it in the world
file that way, but it should act like it saw it there).

Would this be a generally good concept, if I came up with a suitable
implementation? (Now that the code is set up to carry out the implications
of such a setting)

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*

Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Zac Medico

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Vlastimil Babka

Daniel Barkalow wrote:
It shouldn't remove the Java VM that
java-config is set to.

This would be a bit trickier I guess, as every user can have it set
differently

Caster