Old 11-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Perry Smith

Default Portage on AIX

Hi,

I don't use Gentoo but I bumped into Portage on a recent quest. Long story short, I'd like to try and port it to AIX. I'm writing this list to see if you think that is possible or not.

I have lots of AIX experience and lots of experience getting open source pages to compile and run on AIX. What I need is exactly what Portage appears to offer -- a way to easily track and understand compile time and run time dependancies.

If you think it is possible, I'd love to hear any advice you might have on what docs to read and maybe what needs to be done first, etc.

Thank you for your time,
Perry

Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Fabian Groffen

Hi,

On 24-11-2010 12:17:12 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:
> I don't use Gentoo but I bumped into Portage on a recent quest. Long story short, I'd like to try and port it to AIX. I'm writing this list to see if you think that is possible or not.

We use Portage Prefix on AIX, so I think we can say it works. Do you
really need Portage (the package manager) or the entire set of
applications provided by it?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Perry Smith

On Nov 24, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 24-11-2010 12:17:12 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:
>> I don't use Gentoo but I bumped into Portage on a recent quest. Long story short, I'd like to try and port it to AIX. I'm writing this list to see if you think that is possible or not.
>
> We use Portage Prefix on AIX, so I think we can say it works. Do you
> really need Portage (the package manager) or the entire set of
> applications provided by it?

I'm assuming the latter does not exist. I've love to just say "install ruby" right now and have it work but that isn't what I'm expecting. I'm hoping, over time, to provide some of those packages over time. I hope I'm making sense here...

Perry

Old 11-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 24-11-2010 12:29:41 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 24-11-2010 12:17:12 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:
> >> I don't use Gentoo but I bumped into Portage on a recent quest. Long story short, I'd like to try and port it to AIX. I'm writing this list to see if you think that is possible or not.
> >
> > We use Portage Prefix on AIX, so I think we can say it works. Do you
> > really need Portage (the package manager) or the entire set of
> > applications provided by it?
>
> I'm assuming the latter does not exist. I've love to just say "install ruby" right now and have it work but that isn't what I'm expecting. I'm hoping, over time, to provide some of those packages over time. I hope I'm making sense here...

Gentoo Prefix[1] on AIX is sort of that. Not sure if ruby is "ported"
yet, but at least the base system (the core you need to get Portage
sanely running, and being able to emerge other stuff + a handful of
indispensible tools) compiles. You'll find people on the gentoo-alt
list[2] that maintain the AIX port.

[1] http://prefix.gentoo.org/
[2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/

--