Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Pacho Ramos

Default Is there any way to stop compilation and resume it later (after a reboot)?

Hello

This is a problem I get every time openoffice needs to be
recompiled :-S, it takes really a long time to do it (~10 hours) then,
sometimes I need to stop compilation for halting system and, then, I
need to start it again some different day.

Is there any way for stopping compilation and resume it later using
already compiled files?

Thanks a lot :-)

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Pacho Ramos

El vie, 19-02-2010 a las 11:09 -0500, Ghislain Bourgeois escribió:
> Hi,
>

> Best way I know is to use ccache and emerge --resume. But that is not
> exactly what you are asking for.

I already use ccache and, even speeding it up, I still have to wait some
hours :-(

Another option could be to hibernate the system but, in some machines
hibernation doesn't even work

Best regards

Old 02-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Zac Medico

On 02/19/2010 08:44 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> Another option could be to hibernate the system but, in some machines
> hibernation doesn't even work

That might work but it's a little extreme. You might want to
consider switching to openoffice-bin unless you can find a faster
computer to build on. I have a 1.6 GHz core 2 duo and my last
openoffice build took less than 2 hours.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Pacho Ramos

El vie, 19-02-2010 a las 10:58 -0800, Zac Medico escribió:
> On 02/19/2010 08:44 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > Another option could be to hibernate the system but, in some machines
> > hibernation doesn't even work
>
> That might work but it's a little extreme. You might want to
> consider switching to openoffice-bin unless you can find a faster
> computer to build on. I have a 1.6 GHz core 2 duo and my last
> openoffice build took less than 2 hours.

I use openoffice over openoffice-bin because it's a bit different and
opens more "exotic" doc files :-/

If I don't misremember, when compiling manually I was able to press Ctrl
+C and, later, run again "make" and it continued, is not possible to do
that through emerge then? I mean, run src_compile phase from "uncleaned"
sources dir

Best regards

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Zac Medico

On 02/19/2010 11:17 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> If I don't misremember, when compiling manually I was able to press Ctrl
> +C and, later, run again "make" and it continued, is not possible to do
> that through emerge then? I mean, run src_compile phase from "uncleaned"
> sources dir

You can use FEATURES=keepwork for that, but generally this approach
isn't recommended because the ebuilds aren't as well tested in this
mode and therefore you are more likely to encounter bugs. If you
must use FEATURES=keepwork, make sure that you disable it as soon as
possible since it's poor practice to keep it enabled for all builds
since it may prevent $WORKDIR from being cleaned when appropriate.
--
Thanks,
Zac