Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Default Can emerge be instructed not to upgrade a dependency?

Hi.

I want package A to incur a rebuild of package B, due to a newly
introduced USE flag which affects B. I wish to express this in the
package's ebuild. I therefore DEPENDed A in B[use_flag]. When I attempt
to emerge A, portage offers to *upgrade* the dependency, taking in the
new USE setting (there's an available upgrade in the tree). I want the
dependency to be *rebuilt*, maintaining the same version currently
installed. Can I tell emerge to do that? I'm looking for a general
method of doing this, I.E. I wish to remain unaware of the specific
version of the installed B package: If it's there, don't upgrade it,
just rebuild w/new USE flag.

10x,
Amit

Old 12-30-2009, 05:47 AM
Zac Medico

On 12/29/2009 08:23 AM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I want package A to incur a rebuild of package B, due to a newly
> introduced USE flag which affects B. I wish to express this in the
> package's ebuild. I therefore DEPENDed A in B[use_flag]. When I attempt
> to emerge A, portage offers to *upgrade* the dependency, taking in the
> new USE setting (there's an available upgrade in the tree). I want the
> dependency to be *rebuilt*, maintaining the same version currently
> installed. Can I tell emerge to do that? I'm looking for a general
> method of doing this, I.E. I wish to remain unaware of the specific
> version of the installed B package: If it's there, don't upgrade it,
> just rebuild w/new USE flag.

The only way to do that now is to mask the unwanted update in
/etc/portage/package.mask.
--
Thanks,
Zac