Old 12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Pacho Ramos

Default Question about PDEPEND

Hello

During today's review session with Petteri (due bug #284528) PDEPEND
question appeared about what really does it. I replied that it contains
dependencies that need to be installed after the package (as is shown in
http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html )
but he told me that PDEPEND is really the same as RDEPEND with cycle
breaking. He also suggested me to ask portage devs about what it really
doing PDEPEND.

Now, after the session, I rechecked devmanual page and noticed that
"after" is in cursive (sorry for didn't noticing it before), also
googled a bit and found posts like:
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/10/18/blurring-the-separation-between-rdepend-and-pdepend
http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/gentoo-dev-PDEPEND-behaviour--ftopict483842.html

that clearly show PDEPEND is not simply "merge depends after the
package".

Then, if possible, I would highly appreciate a summary about what really
does PDEPEND. Of course, as I know portage devs are overloaded, if you
don't have time to reply, no problem at all :-)

Thanks a lot

Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Zac Medico

Pacho Ramos wrote:
> but he told me that PDEPEND is really the same as RDEPEND with cycle
> breaking.

This is good description. It's handled the same as RDEPEND except
when it can't due to circular dependencies. That means that it's
installed before, just like RDEPEND, except when resolution of
circular dependencies requires it to be installed after.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 12-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Pacho Ramos

El mar, 08-12-2009 a las 11:31 -0800, Zac Medico escribió:
> Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > but he told me that PDEPEND is really the same as RDEPEND with cycle
> > breaking.
>
> This is good description. It's handled the same as RDEPEND except
> when it can't due to circular dependencies. That means that it's
> installed before, just like RDEPEND, except when resolution of
> circular dependencies requires it to be installed after.

Fine, thanks a lot =)

Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Duncan

Zac Medico posted on Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:31:12 -0800 as excerpted:

> Pacho Ramos wrote:
>> but he told me that PDEPEND is really the same as RDEPEND with cycle
>> breaking.
>
> This is good description. It's handled the same as RDEPEND except when
> it can't due to circular dependencies. That means that it's installed
> before, just like RDEPEND, except when resolution of circular
> dependencies requires it to be installed after.

Thanks. That had confused me too, and Petteri and your definition neatly
breaks the confusion dependency cycle. =:^)