Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Amit Dor-Shifer

Default What is a "meta package"?

Hi.
i read in
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=3

<QUOTE>
Never depend on a meta-package.
So don't depend on gnome-base/gnome, always depend on the specific
libraries like libgnome.

<UNQUOTE>

Where can I find a definition of this term?

Is there some equery/qsearch invocation that returns a list of such
packages (installed or available)?
Is there some ebuild setting that marks a package as being a "meta"
package? Does gnome-base/gnome carry this setting?

Thanks,
Amit

Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
"Marijn Schouten (hkBst)"

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Douglas Anderson

Is there some equery/qsearch invocation that returns a list of such packages
(installed or available)?

The fact that it's a meta package tends to be in the description... so this might not be all inclusive, but ``eix -S "meta package"`` or ``emerge -S "meta package"`` finds quite a few.

-Doug