Old 12-07-2008, 06:16 AM
"Michael A. Smith"

Default equery refactorization

Old 12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Marius Mauch

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:54:38 +0900
"Douglas Anderson" <dja@gendja.com> wrote:

> $ equery list -h
> List all packages matching a query pattern
> Syntax:
> list <local-opts> pkgspec
> <local-opts> is either of:
> -i, --installed - search installed packages (default)
> -I, --exclude-installed - do not search installed packages
> -p, --portage-tree - also search in portage tree (/usr/portage)
> -o, --overlay-tree - also search in overlay tree
> (/usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
> /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
> /usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
> /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
> /usr/local/portage)
> -f, --full-regex - query is a regular expression
> -e, --exact-name - list only those packages that exactly
> match -d, --duplicates - list only installed duplicate packages
>
> That's an awful lot of "searching" there for something that's
> definitely not a search. List is really ambiguous, but whatever.

So replace "search" with "list" or "look" in the help output.

> I understand the point of having a stable interface, but this is
> probably the most widely recommended tool on the forums and #gentoo.
> Stability is not a good enough reason to let it bit rot. Wasn't a more
> unified tool interface also one of the original goals of gentoolkit?

I never said that you should let it bitrot, just that changing the
syntax for IMO questionable reasons shouldn't be done lightly. I was
stictly talking about the user interface, not the API, in case that
wasn't obvious.

Marius

Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 PM
"Douglas Anderson"

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Marius Mauch <genone@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:54:38 +0900
> "Douglas Anderson" <dja@gendja.com> wrote:
>
>> $ equery list -h
>> List all packages matching a query pattern
>> Syntax:
>> list <local-opts> pkgspec
>> <local-opts> is either of:
>> -i, --installed - search installed packages (default)
>> -I, --exclude-installed - do not search installed packages
>> -p, --portage-tree - also search in portage tree (/usr/portage)
>> -o, --overlay-tree - also search in overlay tree
>> (/usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
>> /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
>> /usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
>> /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
>> /usr/local/portage)
>> -f, --full-regex - query is a regular expression
>> -e, --exact-name - list only those packages that exactly
>> match -d, --duplicates - list only installed duplicate packages
>>
>> That's an awful lot of "searching" there for something that's
>> definitely not a search. List is really ambiguous, but whatever.
>
> So replace "search" with "list" or "look" in the help output.
>
>> I understand the point of having a stable interface, but this is
>> probably the most widely recommended tool on the forums and #gentoo.
>> Stability is not a good enough reason to let it bit rot. Wasn't a more
>> unified tool interface also one of the original goals of gentoolkit?
>
> I never said that you should let it bitrot, just that changing the
> syntax for IMO questionable reasons shouldn't be done lightly. I was
> stictly talking about the user interface, not the API, in case that
> wasn't obvious.
>
> Marius

Ok, I see your point and I agree with you. Thanks for the advice...
I'll work on making the backend easier to maintain and extend while
keeping the syntax as is. I still want to clean up the UI a little
bit, but I will discuss anything I'm unsure about on the list.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality
-Doug