Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Zac Medico

Default portage-2.1.6 release plans

Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Duncan

Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> posted 4914D188.4010803@gentoo.org,
excerpted below, on Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:38:48 -0800:

> Since portage-2.2 isn't quite ready yet due to ongoing work in package
> sets and preserve-libs, and I don't want ongoing work to hold back other
> features that are stable, I'm planning to split a 2.1.6 branch from
> trunk. This branch will have package sets and preserve-libs support
> disabled. This branch will be named 2.1.6 in order to preserve
> continuity such that the final portage-2.2 release will have all of the
> features that have existed in previous portage-2.2 releases.
>
> In order to get testing on the new 2.1.6 branch, I plan to put
> portage-2.2 back in package.mask until portage-2.1.6 has been marked
> stable.

The idea is (or would be) good, but with kde4 being one of the biggest
and highest profile users of the new features including sets and with it
already ~arch, I'm not sure how practical putting 2.2 or set support back
in package mask really is. Do we really want to deal with the PR and
other implications of putting kde4 back in package mask?

OTOH, maybe you've discussed it with the KDE project already and they
said do what you need to do. Maybe after all that work on and delay for
sets, they've decided they can do without, for the time being?

IOW, preserve-libs I think you could get away with, but I just don't
think it's practical to even consider killing ~arch portage with set
support. But I'm not a dev, and maybe it's just me. <shrug>

Old 11-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Zac Medico

Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Marius Mauch

Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Since portage-2.2 isn't quite ready yet due to ongoing work in
> package sets and preserve-libs, and I don't want ongoing work to
> hold back other features that are stable, I'm planning to split a
> 2.1.6 branch from trunk. This branch will have package sets and
> preserve-libs support disabled.

Disabled as in FEATURES="-preserve-libs" and an almost empty
sets.conf, or disabled as in "remove all traces from the code"?

Marius

Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 AM
Zac Medico

Old 11-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Duncan

Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> posted 4914E580.5010502@gentoo.org,
excerpted below, on Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:04:00 -0800:

> I haven't talked to [the kde project] about [hard-masking all portage
versions with set support] but AFAIK it entirely possible to use
> kde4 without package sets since the meta-ebuilds are available.

Hmm... I followed the kde4 guide, which talks about sets, and was under
the impression they either weren't even doing the metapackages, with sets
supplanting them, of if they were, they were using set dependencies, thus
required sets.

A quick look demonstrates that impression was wrong, however. I'd never
even checked to see if the meta-ebuilds were actually there!

So... it seems the ebuilds are there. Never-the-less, for folks who have
followed the kde4 guide, sets will be (almost) a must, since that's what
it talks about using, so that's probably what folks who read the guide
/did/ use. I know it's what I used.[1]

Regardless, I'd definitely touch base with them on it. At minimum, the
upgrade guide will need either changed or taken down, if set support goes
back hard-masked. I doubt they'll be very happy about it, but if it
needs to happen, well...

[1] FWIW, I have kde-4.1.2 merged, but consider it still broken and well
short of what I'd find actually workable for daily use. There's just too
many bits and pieces that don't work, and won't work until at least
4.2.0, possibly 4.3.0 the way things are going.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Zac Medico