Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Marius Mauch

Default Runtime deps, binary packages and merge order

Just ran across the following thread in the forums yesterday:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-626528.html

Which raises an interesting point regarding merge order of runtime
deps. IIRC we currently assume that it's ok to merge runtime deps after
the depending package to resolve dep cycles for example, which is
generally ok, except if a runtime dep is used in pkg_*. For
ebuild-installs that can be worked around easily by using DEPEND (where
order is strictly respected), but for binary packages that obviously
doesn't work.
This problem probably hasn't been recognized earlier as
it requires several conditions to apply simultaneously (binary merge,
circular rdeps, rdeps used in pkg_*, rdeps not installed
previously)

Assuming I haven't missed anything, I see threee options to deal with
that problem:
a) ignore it, as it only affects a small minority
b) respect merge order for RDEPEND - will cause more unsolvable
depgraphs, though telling people to use PDEPEND more often might reduce
that problem
c) add a new deptype for merge dependencies - looks like overkill to me

Any other other ideas, comments, preferences?

Marius

Old 12-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Zac Medico

Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 PM