Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
"Jason Cipriani"

Default Connecting source and binary packages.

I have mozilla-firefox-bin installed, but when I update things that
depend on firefox (such as epiphany), they attempt to get
mozilla-firefox instead. How do I make emerge realize that I already
have the binaries installed and don't need the source distribution?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Patrick Börjesson

On 2008-07-16 14:12, Jason Cipriani uttered these thoughts:
> I have mozilla-firefox-bin installed, but when I update things that
> depend on firefox (such as epiphany), they attempt to get
> mozilla-firefox instead. How do I make emerge realize that I already
> have the binaries installed and don't need the source distribution?

man portage, search for package.provided

--
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email
/ and proprietary formats.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Andrew Gaffney

Jason Cipriani wrote:

I have mozilla-firefox-bin installed, but when I update things that
depend on firefox (such as epiphany), they attempt to get
mozilla-firefox instead. How do I make emerge realize that I already
have the binaries installed and don't need the source distribution?

This isn't a support forum. Please post this on the gentoo-user mailing list.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator

Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Patrick Börjesson

On 2008-07-16 14:12, Jason Cipriani uttered these thoughts:
> I have mozilla-firefox-bin installed, but when I update things that
> depend on firefox (such as epiphany), they attempt to get
> mozilla-firefox instead. How do I make emerge realize that I already
> have the binaries installed and don't need the source distribution?

Never mind my first response, i parsed your mail a bit too quick. I
would imagine that those packages that draw in mozilla-firefox when you
already have mozilla-firefox-bin installed requires something that isn't
available in the binary package.

Although, if you enable the xulrunner use-flag, it draws that in
instead, but i'm not sure how big a difference there is in size in
between those (mozilla-firefox and xulrunner that is)

Patrick B

Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Marius Mauch

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:17:37 +0200
Patrick Börjesson <psychotical@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On 2008-07-16 14:12, Jason Cipriani uttered these thoughts:
> > I have mozilla-firefox-bin installed, but when I update things that
> > depend on firefox (such as epiphany), they attempt to get
> > mozilla-firefox instead. How do I make emerge realize that I already
> > have the binaries installed and don't need the source distribution?
>
> man portage, search for package.provided

Assuming that the packages do actually work with the -bin version ...

Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 PM
"Jason Cipriani"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Patrick Börjesson
<psychotical@lavabit.com> wrote:
> On 2008-07-16 14:12, Jason Cipriani uttered these thoughts:
>> I have mozilla-firefox-bin installed, but when I update things that
>> depend on firefox (such as epiphany), they attempt to get
>> mozilla-firefox instead. How do I make emerge realize that I already
>> have the binaries installed and don't need the source distribution?
>
> Although, if you enable the xulrunner use-flag, it draws that in
> instead, but i'm not sure how big a difference there is in size in
> between those (mozilla-firefox and xulrunner that is)

Thanks, this was the easiest solution and the one I used. Package size
is no big deal, it's build times that I was trying to cut down on.

Jason