Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Charles WIlliams

Default Grsecurity Policy Questions

Hey guys,

This is my first post to the list.

I've got a KDE-only Hardened Gentoo installed. I've set policy using the
learning mode of gradm. However, the policies are a bit too restrictive for my
needs.

My first issue is, I can't delete files from my home directory. The other
issue is, I can't access email folders in Kmail, to read emails previously
stored.. I get the following error:

Local Folders: Error while creating item: Unknown error. (NO
PartHelperException: Could not open
/home/username/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/1508_r0 for writing, error
was 'Permission denied')

I did make one slight modification to my home directory in the grsec policy,
changing this line, under my username role, from

/home/username r

/home/username rw

I had hoped that one change would allow writing to my home directory, but I
get the same error even with this change to the policy file. I am not sure
what edits are necessary to the policy file to make it possible to check
previously stored emails in Kmail folders or to make it possible to delete
files from my home directory.

I did read the sections on creating policies on the grsecurity website, but it
really is beyond what I can understand at this point, although I know it's
likely some very small setting I am missing.

Any help will be appreciated. And thanks to all who've made Hardened Gentoo
possible.

Charles