Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default RFC: core/base/etc, pykickstart

Right now, we have the following entities:

- The 'core' group in comps
A list of packages suitable for a small-but-functional install that
can still add users, install packages, etc.

- The nebulous Minimal Install
De-facto defined to be the 'core' group in comps

- The 'base' group in comps
Another group of random stuff. Included in most default installs.

- The '--nobase' option to packages in kickstart
Which tells it to (theoretically) not select the 'base' group.

And we have the following behavior in various kickstart-using tools:

- Anaconda (UI)
Always selects 'core'
- Anaconda (Kickstart)
Always selects 'core'
Honors '--nobase'. Selects 'base' if it is not passed.
- Pungi
Always selects 'core'
Honors '--nobase'. Selects 'base' if it is not passed.
- livecd-creator, and its derivatves
Ignores --nobase, doesn't select *any* groups not explicitly listed

This leads to assorted confusion points:
- Confusion whether the minimal install includes 'base' or not (it does not,
but I've heard this a lot)
- Different kickstart tools handling the package list differently

What I'd like to do (tangentially related to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReworkPackageGroups) is:

- Rename the 'base' group to something else

Ideally, if it's named something with fewer connotations than 'base', people
will be less likely to think of it as part of a minimal install.

- Drop the '--nobase' option

Obviously, if we rename 'base', it will 1) be a misnomer 2) not work right
without patching. I'd just rather drop it.

- Have all tools use the same behavior as livecd-creator

If you want a group, list it. If you don't want it, don't list it.

Opinions?

Bill

Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 16:52:57 -0400,
Right now, we have the following entities:

- Have all tools use the same behavior as livecd-creator

If you want a group, list it. If you don't want it, don't list it.

Opinions?

I think consistency would be an improvement.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Chris Lumens

> - Rename the 'base' group to something else
>
> Ideally, if it's named something with fewer connotations than 'base', people
> will be less likely to think of it as part of a minimal install.

That's fine. No one can keep "base" vs. "core" separate anyway, not
even us.

> - Drop the '--nobase' option
>
> Obviously, if we rename 'base', it will 1) be a misnomer 2) not work right
> without patching. I'd just rather drop it.

If we assume the last point - that you have to explicitly list every
group you want - then yeah there's no point to having --nobase as an
option. I'd probably leave it recognized in pykickstart just to not
break ks files, but it wouldn't do anything.

> - Have all tools use the same behavior as livecd-creator
>
> If you want a group, list it. If you don't want it, don't list it.

I assume "core" (or whatever would take its place) would still always
get installed, correct?

- Chris