FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Hardened

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Alain Toussaint
 
Default emerge via ssh doesn't work

Hello,
*************** I am building a headless server and for the most part, now that I have labelled everything (selinux), I am not able to continue emerging software via ssh. I know that it is a security features but is there something I can change in my setup or else, I?ll need to get a monitor for the machine?

*
Alain
 
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Sven Vermeulen
 
Default emerge via ssh doesn't work

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 03:41:50PM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> I am building a headless server and for the most part, now
> that I have labelled everything (selinux), I am not able to continue
> emerging software via ssh. I know that it is a security features but is
> there something I can change in my setup or else, I’ll need to get a
> monitor for the machine?

Without the failure you get, it is not easy to tell you what to do, but my
guess would be that, once you are logged on to the server, you are in the
staff role:

~# id -Z
root:staff_r:staff_t

In order to use Portage, you need to be in the system administration role,
so first switch roles:

~# newrole -r sysadm_r
Password: <your root password>

~# id -Z
root:sysadm_r:sysadm_t

Now you should be able to run emerge (and other administrative tasks).

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
 
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 AM
Alain Toussaint
 
Default emerge via ssh doesn't work

Thanks,
That did the trick but I feel I'm gonna need the selinux 101 guide to
really understand how to handle a selinux system. For the moment, I hooked
up a monitor on the server and installed many software that way but I also
tried your instructions on the ppp daemon (for an ipsec vpn) and it
installed fine while in a ssh session.

Another question I had is; would you (or someone else in Gentoo.org) have a
use for a howto on how to build a selinux enabled active directory system
where all the users and administrative users are located in a samba 4
installation? (only root would have an account in /etc/passwd)

Alain

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Sven Vermeulen [mailto:swift@gentoo.org]
Envoyé : 12 avril 2012 15:57
À : gentoo-hardened@lists.gentoo.org
Objet : Re: [gentoo-hardened] emerge via ssh doesn't work

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 03:41:50PM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> I am building a headless server and for the most part,
> now that I have labelled everything (selinux), I am not able to
> continue emerging software via ssh. I know that it is a security
> features but is there something I can change in my setup or else, I’ll
> need to get a monitor for the machine?

Without the failure you get, it is not easy to tell you what to do, but my
guess would be that, once you are logged on to the server, you are in the
staff role:

~# id -Z
root:staff_r:staff_t

In order to use Portage, you need to be in the system administration role,
so first switch roles:

~# newrole -r sysadm_r
Password: <your root password>

~# id -Z
root:sysadm_r:sysadm_t

Now you should be able to run emerge (and other administrative tasks).

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
 
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Sven Vermeulen
 
Default emerge via ssh doesn't work

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 01:04:19AM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> Another question I had is; would you (or someone else in Gentoo.org) have a
> use for a howto on how to build a selinux enabled active directory system
> where all the users and administrative users are located in a samba 4
> installation? (only root would have an account in /etc/passwd)

If someone wants to write it up, sure. I helped author an OpenLDAP Howto for
central authentication [1] which serves a similar purpose. The guide works
on an SELinux enabled system too.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org