-   Gentoo Hardened (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-hardened/)
-   -   keyword: amd64 or ~amd64? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-hardened/654332-keyword-amd64-amd64.html)

Alain Toussaint 04-09-2012 10:36 PM

keyword: amd64 or ~amd64?

Hello everyone,
*************** I?m building from scratch a Samba file server which I may use samba4 git version (i.e. not a package from Gentoo) but the rest will be stock Gentoo and for the moment, I?m running stable and the profile is amd64/no-multilib/selinux. In order to have a good set of policies, should I run ~amd64 or the default will be fine?

*
This is for a small workgroup server with 5 clients.
*

The machine is a dual core AMD Athlon 4600 with 4GB of ram and, for the moment, 280GB of disk space.
*
Alain

"Aaron W. Swenson" 04-09-2012 10:40 PM

keyword: amd64 or ~amd64?

Sven Vermeulen 04-10-2012 05:35 PM

keyword: amd64 or ~amd64?

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 06:36:00PM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> I’m building from scratch a Samba file server which I may
> use samba4 git version (i.e. not a package from Gentoo) but the rest will
> be stock Gentoo and for the moment, I’m running stable and the profile is
> amd64/no-multilib/selinux. In order to have a good set of policies, should
> I run ~amd64 or the default will be fine?

I definitely don't recommend running the entire system in ~arch with
SELinux. I'm not able to work out the policies for ~arch in time as soon as
they are needed (in other words, I can use the 30 days "stabilization" just
to make sure the policies don't make your system unworkable).

However, the policies themselves might be a candidate for running in ~arch.

That being said, if the stable policies work for you, keep them in the
stable state ;)

Sven