Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM
"Tóth Attila"

Default hardened-sources-3.2.6 problems

I'm using grsecurity and I've experienced problems with
hardened-sources-3.2.6 recently. I compiled and installed the kernel the
day before.
It seems to me the kernel incorrectly detects the UID of processes, which
is painful for some daemons. That caused denials because of the RBAC
system. Booting hardened-sources-3.2.5 solves the problem.
I essentially experienced the problem in conjunction to the mail system. I
use Sendmail as an MTA and Dovecot for IMAP. The daemons couldn't perform
their tasks, because the kernel thought they try to do everything as root.
Even after change to another user (mail or dovecot). It seems the kernel
incorrectly recognized the change of the UID.
I suspect the problem is related to the security features of the kernel.
But I thought it would be good to inform the list about this.

Regards:
Dw.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057