Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 PM
"Tóth Attila"

Default New amd64 install

I have two hardened gentoo systems I'm running for many years now. I've
installed the personal server in 2004. The laptop started in 2005. Now the
time has come, to change to 64bit. I can't circumwent it. You know it
means I'm rolling these systems for many years without the need to
reinstall! The server would just go to primary school now as a human
being... I must say: hardened rocks!

First I'll perform an install for the laptop. Later I'll go on with the
server, when it'll get upgraded...

I see some hardened stage3s from 2011 June on the mirrors. Should I start
with them or rather convert a normal install? Are there any more recent
hardened stages available online?

I will run a proprietary Linux software, which is still a 32bit binary.
The software is statically linked, so it needs no other libraries at all.
All other softwares I plan to run are 64bit (including libreoffice and
firefox). What would you suggest? May I aim for a no-multilib install?
Should I still go for regular multilib setup? Is it enough to enable 32bit
compatibility for the kernel and let the whole system be 64bit otherwise?
Are there any known serious obstacles with no-multilib?

Thank you for sharing your opinion:
Dw.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Sven Vermeulen

There are; you can find them at http://www.jmbsvicetto.name

> I will run a proprietary Linux software, which is still a 32bit binary.

> The software is statically linked, so it needs no other libraries at all.

> All other softwares I plan to run are 64bit (including libreoffice and

> firefox). What would you suggest? May I aim for a no-multilib install?

> Should I still go for regular multilib setup? Is it enough to enable 32bit

> compatibility for the kernel and let the whole system be 64bit otherwise?

> Are there any known serious obstacles with no-multilib?

Are you certain that *all* binaries offered are statically linked? It wouldn't hurt to start out with a no-multilib and see if it indeed works. Otherwise you'll never know ;-)

Wkr,

Sven Vermeulen