Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
"Albretch Mueller"

Default how to go about building a web stack?

Starting from plain gentoo baseline and then "hardening" it or ...
would it be better to start right from gentoo-hardened?
~
I recently posted an article "Web app stack on top of hardened gentoo
anyone?", but the feedback I got wasn't really so clarifying to me
~
I will basically need java, tomcat and some DB in it. So what would
you suggest to me
~
thanks
lbrtchx

Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Thilo Bangert

i suppose you're not making much sense to most of us

"Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx@gmail.com> said:
> Starting from plain gentoo baseline and then "hardening" it or ...
> would it be better to start right from gentoo-hardened?

you are not very specific, so it is hard to help you out here. both ways
you describe should be possible, so it depends on your situation, you
requirements, the amount of time you need and can put into the effort
etc...

> ~
> I recently posted an article "Web app stack on top of hardened gentoo
> anyone?", but the feedback I got wasn't really so clarifying to me

great! what are your questions?

> ~
> I will basically need java, tomcat and some DB in it. So what would
> you suggest to me

as somebody in the original thread suggested: he is running glassfish and
postgres. i suppose, if java runs then tomcat shouldn't be a problem.
have you tried?

as for putting the stuff on to a CD: gentoo has great tools to help you
with that. but its really not hardened related - go take a peak at the
gentoo-server list. you may want to look at catalyst to build an hardened
webapp image that you can deploy on your servers directly. quickstart by
agaffney is of great help also...

hope that helps. if not, try to be more specific in your questions -
simply restating them is unlikely to make you more popular

> ~
> thanks
> lbrtchx

kind regards
Thilo

Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 PM
"Albretch Mueller"

> i suppose you're not making much sense to most of us
~
well, yeah! my note was a bit of a trial nonsense trying to fish some
info after my second searching around didn't give me much
~
> so it depends on your situation, you requirements, the amount of time you need and can put into the effort, etc...
~
my intention is building a j2ee based web server stack with
gentoo-hardnened livecd as underlying OS. I will be installing apache2
(with some modules), java, tomcat, postgresql (using a software RAID
for the data), syslog-ng, ...
~
I could put some time into it (initially a good week+ I would say)
~
The reason why I am trying to approach this project with as much
forethought as possible is because I have privately contacted a few
people who have tried this and they have given up
~
> as somebody in the original thread suggested: he is running glassfish and postgres. i suppose, if java runs then tomcat shouldn't be a problem.
> have you tried?
~
I have taken a first look at his pages and they look OK, but it
seemed to me also that he is trying to start his "alpine" distro and I
am trying to avoid any "new way to do things" TM, for just doing what
I want/need
~
I will start working on it today. Let's see how far I get
~
thank you
lbrtchx