Old 12-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Ed W

Default gcc-4.4.6 - says "arch is not supported" "hope you know what you are doing"?

So I am building in a chroot an x86 system:

CFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,relro"
CHOST="i486-gentoo-linux-uclibc"

And emerge gcc-4.4.6-1 warns:

* Your x86 arch is not supported.
* Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.

What might I be missing...? Seems like it was working ok some weeks
back...?

Thanks

Ed W

Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 00:08:51 +0000
Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com> wrote:

> So I am building in a chroot an x86 system:
>
> CFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
> LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,relro"
> CHOST="i486-gentoo-linux-uclibc"
>
> And emerge gcc-4.4.6-1 warns:
>
> * Your x86 arch is not supported.
> * Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
>
> What might I be missing...? Seems like it was working ok some weeks
> back...?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed W

Is this within kvm? If so, what is the output of 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'?

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)

Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Ed W

On 13/12/2011 00:29, Matthew Thode (prometheanfire) wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 00:08:51 +0000
> Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com> wrote:
>
>> So I am building in a chroot an x86 system:
>>
>> CFLAGS="-march=k6-2 -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>> LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,relro"
>> CHOST="i486-gentoo-linux-uclibc"
>>
>> And emerge gcc-4.4.6-1 warns:
>>
>> * Your x86 arch is not supported.
>> * Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
>>
>> What might I be missing...? Seems like it was working ok some weeks
>> back...?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ed W
>>
> Is this within kvm? If so, what is the output of 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'?

No. Although perhaps more background is useful:

uclibc-0.9.33(git)
host is an amd64 gentoo system
chroot is an i486/32bit gentoo system, used as a compile base for my
embedded Alix board

At the end of the install I see:
* Messages for package sys-devel/gcc-4.4.6-r1:

* Your x86 arch is not supported.
* Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
* SSP has not been enabled by default
* Your x86 arch is not supported.
* Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
* Skipping libstdc++ manpage generation since you don't have doxygen
installed
* Your x86 arch is not supported.
* Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
* If you have issues with packages unable to locate libstdc++.la,
* then try running 'fix_libtool_files.sh' on the old gcc versions.

I am thinking it's the uclibc which is the issue? What else might I
worry about though...?

Host looks like this:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 11
cpu MHz : 2400.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
apicid :
0
[0/4702]
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dts tpr_shadow
vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 4799.93
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 11
cpu MHz : 2400.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 3
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 3
initial apicid : 3
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dts tpr_shadow
vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 4800.20
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 2
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 11
cpu MHz : 2400.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 1
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dts tpr_shadow
vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 4800.16
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 11
cpu MHz : 2400.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 2
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 2
initial apicid : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dts tpr_shadow
vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 4800.17
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
DeadManMoving

Did you tried to override ARCH in your chroot :

export ARCH=x86

Useful in an x86 chroot located on a x86_64 platform.

Cheers,

Tony Lapointe

Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Magnus Granberg

tisdag 13 december 2011 08.39.20 skrev DeadManMoving:
> Did you tried to override ARCH in your chroot :
>
> export ARCH=x86
>

> Useful in an x86 chroot located on a x86_64 platform.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Tony Lapointe
>
> On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 12:39 +0000, Ed W wrote:
> > On 13/12/2011 00:29, Matthew Thode (prometheanfire) wrote:

> > > Is this within kvm? If so, what is the output of 'cat
> > > /proc/cpuinfo'?
> >
> > No. Although perhaps more background is useful:
> >
> > uclibc-0.9.33(git)
> > host is an amd64 gentoo system
> > chroot is an i486/32bit gentoo system, used as a compile base for my
> > embedded Alix board
> >
> > At the end of the install I see:
> > * Messages for package sys-devel/gcc-4.4.6-r1:
> >
> > * Your x86 arch is not supported.
> > * Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
> > * SSP has not been enabled by default
> > * Your x86 arch is not supported.
> > * Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
> > * Skipping libstdc++ manpage generation since you don't have doxygen
> >
> > installed
> >
> > * Your x86 arch is not supported.
> > * Hope you know what you are doing. Hardened will not work.
> > * If you have issues with packages unable to locate libstdc++.la,
> > * then try running 'fix_libtool_files.sh' on the old gcc versions.
> >
> > I am thinking it's the uclibc which is the issue? What else might I
> > worry about though...?

The error is in toolchain.eclass Revision 1.498
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/eclass/toolchain.eclass?r1=1.497&r2=1.498

We have clean some code in the eclass for gcc
Will fix the eclass
sorry for the bug
/Magnus (Zorry)