Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Michael Orlitzky

Default Hardened stage3 tarballs

It looks like these stopped being published:

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/current-stage3/

Any reason? They can still be found here,

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/

but it looks like even those stopped being built a week ago.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Sven Vermeulen

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:

It looks like these stopped being published:

*http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/current-stage3/

Any reason? They can still be found here,

*http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/

but it looks like even those stopped being built a week ago.

The last one now is of 20110602, which is fairly recent.

The autobuilds are not always created successfully. Updates on compilers or other toolchain changes might affect build successes. When these builds fail, they are not propagated so you'll have to "wait" a week (if you desperately need a build that's more recent than a few weeks old). Considering that Gentoo is a rolling upgrade distribution, working from a month-old stage is not an issue. Even several months old isn't an issue.

Wkr,
* Sven Vermeulen

Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Michael Orlitzky

On 06/06/2011 03:54 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:

> The last one now is of 20110602, which is fairly recent.
>
> The autobuilds are not always created successfully. Updates on compilers
> or other toolchain changes might affect build successes. When these
> builds fail, they are not propagated so you'll have to "wait" a week (if
> you desperately need a build that's more recent than a few weeks old).
> Considering that Gentoo is a rolling upgrade distribution, working from
> a month-old stage is not an issue. Even several months old isn't an issue.
>
> Wkr,
> Sven Vermeulen

That makes sense.

What's the difference between autobuild/stage3-foo and
current-stage3/stage3-foo? I've always looked in current-stage3 in the
past (I think this is where the handbook taught me to look so long ago).

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Matthew Thode

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:38:06 -0400
Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:

> On 06/06/2011 03:54 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> >
> > The last one now is of 20110602, which is fairly recent.
> >
> > The autobuilds are not always created successfully. Updates on
> > compilers or other toolchain changes might affect build successes.
> > When these builds fail, they are not propagated so you'll have to
> > "wait" a week (if you desperately need a build that's more recent
> > than a few weeks old). Considering that Gentoo is a rolling upgrade
> > distribution, working from a month-old stage is not an issue. Even
> > several months old isn't an issue.
> >
> > Wkr,
> > Sven Vermeulen
>
> That makes sense.
>
> What's the difference between autobuild/stage3-foo and
> current-stage3/stage3-foo? I've always looked in current-stage3 in the
> past (I think this is where the handbook taught me to look so long
> ago).

I do not think there is a difference.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Michael Orlitzky

On 06/06/11 17:05, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:38:06 -0400
> Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2011 03:54 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
>>>
>>> The last one now is of 20110602, which is fairly recent.
>>>
>>> The autobuilds are not always created successfully. Updates on
>>> compilers or other toolchain changes might affect build successes.
>>> When these builds fail, they are not propagated so you'll have to
>>> "wait" a week (if you desperately need a build that's more recent
>>> than a few weeks old). Considering that Gentoo is a rolling upgrade
>>> distribution, working from a month-old stage is not an issue. Even
>>> several months old isn't an issue.
>>>
>>> Wkr,
>>> Sven Vermeulen
>>
>> That makes sense.
>>
>> What's the difference between autobuild/stage3-foo and
>> current-stage3/stage3-foo? I've always looked in current-stage3 in the
>> past (I think this is where the handbook taught me to look so long
>> ago).
>>

> I do not think there is a difference.

Well, I ask because the hardened stages are missing from the
current-stage3 directory but not autobuild.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM
"Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)"

El 07/06/11 17:08, Michael Orlitzky escribió:
> On 06/06/11 17:05, Matthew Thode wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:38:06 -0400
>> Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:

>>> That makes sense.
>>>
>>> What's the difference between autobuild/stage3-foo and
>>> current-stage3/stage3-foo? I've always looked in current-stage3 in the
>>> past (I think this is where the handbook taught me to look so long
>>> ago).
>>>
>> I do not think there is a difference.
> Well, I ask because the hardened stages are missing from the
> current-stage3 directory but not autobuild.
current-stage3 is a symlink to the last autobuild . If it failed it is
empty, as simple as that.