Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 AM
"Tth Attila"

Default hardened-sources-2.6.38-r* problems at the very beginning

I gave a try to hardened-sources-2.6.38-r1 and -r2 on my laptop.
Both version get stuck at the very beginning of the boot process:
"
Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
Booting the kernel.
"
And that's it. Nothing happens thereafter.
The processor is Pentium M, so a bit outdated. But it should still work
anyways.

In the mean time hardened-sources-2.6.38 works fine on the same system. I
know, that some improvements were introduced because of a sec conf
announcement after this version. I've simply copied over my previous
config.

Anybody else having the same problem or I'm alone?

Regards:
Dw.
--
dr Tth Attila, Radiolgus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Fredric Johansson

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM, "Tth Attila" <atoth@atoth.sote.hu> wrote:
> I gave a try to hardened-sources-2.6.38-r1 and -r2 on my laptop.
> Both version get stuck at the very beginning of the boot process:
> "
> Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
> Booting the kernel.
> "
> And that's it. Nothing happens thereafter.
> The processor is Pentium M, so a bit outdated. But it should still work
> anyways.
>
> In the mean time hardened-sources-2.6.38 works fine on the same system. I
> know, that some improvements were introduced because of a sec conf
> announcement after this version. I've simply copied over my previous
> config.
>
> Anybody else having the same problem or I'm alone?

I have experienced a similar issue on h-s .38-r1 while the .37 kernel
works. I get past grub screen but I then get a blank screen and the
computer reboot a few seconds later. Due to time constraints I haven't
tried anything to solve it except trying to redo "make oldconfig" with
the .37 config. I didn't see any difference between the configs that,
to my humble knowledge, could cause this.

//Fredric J

Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
"Anthony G. Basile"

On 05/06/2011 05:33 AM, Fredric Johansson wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM, "Tth Attila" <atoth@atoth.sote.hu> wrote:
>> I gave a try to hardened-sources-2.6.38-r1 and -r2 on my laptop.
>> Both version get stuck at the very beginning of the boot process:
>> "
>> Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
>> Booting the kernel.
>> "
>> And that's it. Nothing happens thereafter.
>> The processor is Pentium M, so a bit outdated. But it should still work
>> anyways.
>>
>> In the mean time hardened-sources-2.6.38 works fine on the same system. I
>> know, that some improvements were introduced because of a sec conf
>> announcement after this version. I've simply copied over my previous
>> config.
>>
>> Anybody else having the same problem or I'm alone?
>
> I have experienced a similar issue on h-s .38-r1 while the .37 kernel
> works. I get past grub screen but I then get a blank screen and the
> computer reboot a few seconds later. Due to time constraints I haven't
> tried anything to solve it except trying to redo "make oldconfig" with
> the .37 config. I didn't see any difference between the configs that,
> to my humble knowledge, could cause this.
>
> //Fredric J

Thanks guys. Best to open a bug report regarding these issues. There
were some serious changes with -r1 and it will be a while before
upstream fixes them.

The bug reports are better because I can then cc upstream on them. Thanks.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]

Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Pavel Labushev

06.05.2011 17:11, "Tóth Attila" пишет:
> I gave a try to hardened-sources-2.6.38-r1 and -r2 on my laptop.
> Both version get stuck at the very beginning of the boot process:
> "
> Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
> Booting the kernel.
> "
> And that's it. Nothing happens thereafter.

Try to disable CONFIG_PARAVIRT. Seems like it causes the freeze both on
virtualized and real hardware.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Pavel Labushev

07.05.2011 20:34, Pavel Labushev пишет:

> Try to disable CONFIG_PARAVIRT. Seems like it causes the freeze both on
> virtualized and real hardware.

CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST, that's it.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 PM
"Tóth Attila"

Thanks for the idea, but
# CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST is not set

--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

2011.Május 7.(Szo) 14:35 időpontban Pavel Labushev ezt *rta: