Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo Hardened (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-hardened/)
-   -   SELinux FAQ & Handbook (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-hardened/496412-selinux-faq-handbook.html)

Sven Vermeulen 03-02-2011 08:33 PM

SELinux FAQ & Handbook
 
Hi all

Currently, the SELinux FAQ is integrated in the SELinux handbook as a
dedicated chapter. I would like to suggest to separate the FAQ into its own
guide rather than keep it integrated.

The main reasons I see for this are

- it makes more sense for users when they are told to look for the FAQ. Not
all of them will find it if it is "hidden" in the SELinux handbook
- the handbook should, in the long(er) term, be more static (think about the
Gentoo Handbook, ever since the autobuilds are integrated changes that are
needed are quite low) whereas the FAQ usually has a more lively approach
(although I have to admit we're currently not good at grasping the FAQs
from irc and forums and integrate those as fast as possible)
- search engines are more likely to put a page higher in their rankings if
it is a dedicated guide/url rather than a page in a book triggered through
specific dynamic variables (&doc=3&chap=1)

Any objections to this?

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

klondike 03-03-2011 02:24 AM

SELinux FAQ & Handbook
 
2011/3/2 Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@siphos.be>:
> Hi all
>
> Currently, the SELinux FAQ is integrated in the SELinux handbook as a
> dedicated chapter. I would like to suggest to separate the FAQ into its own
> guide rather than keep it integrated.
>
> The main reasons I see for this are
>
> - it makes more sense for users when they are told to look for the FAQ. Not
> *all of them will find it if it is "hidden" in the SELinux handbook
> - the handbook should, in the long(er) term, be more static (think about the
> *Gentoo Handbook, ever since the autobuilds are integrated changes that are
> *needed are quite low) whereas the FAQ usually has a more lively approach
> *(although I have to admit we're currently not good at grasping the FAQs
> *from irc and forums and integrate those as fast as possible)
Speak for yourself :P I usually add/fix things to the FAQ with a daily delay :P

> - search engines are more likely to put a page higher in their rankings if
> *it is a dedicated guide/url rather than a page in a book triggered through
> *specific dynamic variables (&doc=3&chap=1)
>
> Any objections to this?
Nope, maybe you'd like to blend it with the hardened FAQ? To me is the same.

Sven Vermeulen 03-09-2011 05:20 PM

SELinux FAQ & Handbook
 
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 04:24:13AM +0100, klondike wrote:
> 2011/3/2 Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@siphos.be>:
[... Suggestion to make a SELinux FAQ document instead of having it as
a chapter in the SELinux Handbook ...]
> > Any objections to this?
> Nope, maybe you'd like to blend it with the hardened FAQ? To me is the same.

I've moved it in its' own guide. I have no feelings whatsoever with respect
to having it in the Hardened FAQ or separate, so I just tossed a coin and it
told me to use a separate document. Meh.

Committed to hardened-dev.git.

HTML Preview: http://goo.gl/uaaf4

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

"Anthony G. Basile" 03-09-2011 11:22 PM

SELinux FAQ & Handbook
 
On 03/09/2011 01:20 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 04:24:13AM +0100, klondike wrote:
>> 2011/3/2 Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@siphos.be>:
> [... Suggestion to make a SELinux FAQ document instead of having it as
> a chapter in the SELinux Handbook ...]
>>> Any objections to this?
>> Nope, maybe you'd like to blend it with the hardened FAQ? To me is the same.
>
> I've moved it in its' own guide. I have no feelings whatsoever with respect
> to having it in the Hardened FAQ or separate, so I just tossed a coin and it
> told me to use a separate document. Meh.
>
> Committed to hardened-dev.git.
>
> HTML Preview: http://goo.gl/uaaf4
>
> Wkr,
> Sven Vermeulen
>

You mean hardened-doc.git

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.