Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
"Tóth Attila"

Default relocation error because of missing __guard since upgrading to glibc-2.13

Some binaries are failing since the last glibc upgrade like this:
-
binaryname: relocation error: binaryname: symbol __guard, version
GLIBC_2.3.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
-
I'm actually surprised how well my machines doing despite this problem.

For those who have the same problem, you can search for affected binaries
using this command:
-
scanelf -qRs __guard /bin /lib /sbin /usr/bin /usr/lib /usr/sbin /opt
/var/www/
-

-
equery belongs path/binary
-
command can be used to query for which package the binary belongs to.

Can somebody update me on the nature of the problem? Is it an intended
movement to drop __guard? I know, that it's obsolete. I would suggest to
communicate this in an enews or whatever for all hardened users. Or I may
be the only one, who rolls the system without regular world recompiles?

Regards:
Dwokfur
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
"Anthony G. Basile"

Hi Toth,

You're getting that error because you have something compiled with
gcc-3. Make sure you're using gcc-4.4.4-r2 with the hardened specs. If
you do gcc-config -l, you should see something like this:

blueness@whiteness ~ $ gcc-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 *
[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4-hardenednopie
[3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4-hardenednopiessp
[4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4-hardenednossp
[5] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4-vanilla

We're not supporting hardening on gcc-3 anymore.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer

Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
"Tóth Attila"

Dear Blueness,

Thanks for your response.
There were quite some outdated ebuilds and abandoned dependencies amongst
the involved packages.
However there were some mentionable, like vixie-cron or portmap.
Fortunately my gcc-config is correct. The symptoms popped up probably
because I don't recompile system or world. I let the system roll and rely
on revdep-rebuild for consistency.

Probably the latest glibc stopped exporting some obsolete symbols.
Actually I'm happy, that it pointed on some elderly packages of my systems
older than 5 years now. Constantly hardened!

Regards:
Dw.

Attila is my firstname. Hungary is big-endian regarding name ordering...
Or simply call me Dwokfur.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

2011.Február 10.(Cs) 16:27 idÅ‘pontban Anthony G. Basile ezt Ã*rta: