FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Hardened

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 AM
klondike
 
Default Kernel won't build, but binutils is up to date

El 07/01/11 02:44, Brian Davis escribió:
> Hello,
> After switching profiles and trying to install the latest kernel, I get the following:
>
> # make && make modules_install/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: ngcc: command not found/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: ngcc: command not foundmake: ngcc: Command not found CHK include/linux/version.h CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/arch/x86/Makefile:202: *** *** 2.6 PaX kernels no longer build correctly with old versions of binutils.*** Please upgrade your binutils to 2.18 or newer. Stop.
> # emerge --search binutilsSearching... [ Results for search key : binutils ][ Applications found : 4 ]
> * sys-devel/binutils Latest version available: 2.20.1-r1 Latest version installed: 2.20.1-r1 Size of files: 17,105 kB Homepage: http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/ Description: Tools necessary to build programs License: || ( GPL-3 LGPL-3 )
>
> binutils is up to date.
> Do I need to emerge -e system or something similar?
> Thanks!
>

Don't know what happened but your paste doesn't makes much sense, looks
like newlines where removed at random.

For what it looks it may be that either somehow you are indicating
(probably via an environment variable but maybe via config) that make
should use ngcc instead of gcc to compile or just that the gcc binary in
/usr/bin is missing. Without a clearer paste I can bbe of more help.

BTW the latest kernel is 2.6.36-r7
 
Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Brian Davis
 
Default Kernel won't build, but binutils is up to date

Sorry about that, not sure happend re: cut and paste. Is 2.6.36-r7 masked, because it doesn't show up for me.# emerge -s hardened * * **Searching... * *[ Results for search key : hardened ][ Applications found : 1 ]* *sys-kernel/hardened-sources** * *Latest version available: 2.6.36-r6** * *Latest version installed: 2.6.36-r6** * *Size of files: 69,468 kB** * *Homepage: * * *http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/** * *Description: * Hardened kernel sources (kernel series 2.6)** * *License: * * * GPL-2 !deblob? ( freedist )Here's what happens when I try to build 2.6.36-r6:# make && make modules_install/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: ngcc: command not found/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: ngcc: command not foundmake: ngcc: Command not found**CHK * * include/linux/version.h**CHK * * include/generated/utsrelease.h/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/arch/x86/Makefile:202: ******* 2.6 PaX kernels no longer build correctly with old versions of binutils.*** Please upgrade your binutils to 2.18 or newer. *Stop.# emerge -s binutilsSearching... * *[ Results for search key : binutils ][ Applications found : 4 ]* *sys-devel/binutils** * *Latest version available: 2.20.1-r1** * *Latest version installed: 2.20.1-r1** * *Size of files: 17,105 kB** * *Homepage: * * *http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/** * *Description: * Tools necessary to build programs** * *License: * * * || ( GPL-3 LGPL-3 )Thanks,Brian
> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 03:15:00 +0100
> From: franxisco1988@gmail.com
> To: gentoo-hardened@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Kernel won't build, but binutils is up to date
>
> El 07/01/11 02:44, Brian Davis escribió:
> > Hello,
> > After switching profiles and trying to install the latest kernel, I get the following:
> >
> > # make && make modules_install/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: ngcc: command not found/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: ngcc: command not foundmake: ngcc: Command not found CHK include/linux/version.h CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/arch/x86/Makefile:202: *** *** 2.6 PaX kernels no longer build correctly with old versions of binutils.*** Please upgrade your binutils to 2.18 or newer. Stop.
> > # emerge --search binutilsSearching... [ Results for search key : binutils ][ Applications found : 4 ]
> > * sys-devel/binutils Latest version available: 2.20.1-r1 Latest version installed: 2.20.1-r1 Size of files: 17,105 kB Homepage: http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/ Description: Tools necessary to build programs License: || ( GPL-3 LGPL-3 )
> >
> > binutils is up to date.
> > Do I need to emerge -e system or something similar?
> > Thanks!
> >
>
> Don't know what happened but your paste doesn't makes much sense, looks
> like newlines where removed at random.
>
> For what it looks it may be that either somehow you are indicating
> (probably via an environment variable but maybe via config) that make
> should use ngcc instead of gcc to compile or just that the gcc binary in
> /usr/bin is missing. Without a clearer paste I can bbe of more help.
>
> BTW the latest kernel is 2.6.36-r7
>
 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Cyprien Nicolas
 
Default Kernel won't build, but binutils is up to date

On 01/07/2011 04:39 PM, Brian Davis wrote:
> Here's what happens when I try to build 2.6.36-r6:
>
> # make && make modules_install
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: ngcc:
> command not found
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: ngcc:
> command not found
> make: ngcc: Command not found
> CHK include/linux/version.h
> CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/arch/x86/Makefile:202: ***
> *** 2.6 PaX kernels no longer build correctly with old versions of binutils.
> *** Please upgrade your binutils to 2.18 or newer. Stop.

Hm, try first fixing the ngcc thing. I had the same ngcc issue when
moving my office desktop from gentoo-sources 2.6.35 to 2.6.36 using make
oldconfig.

You might have a CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="n" in your .config.
This setting was not used by 2.6.35 and previous versions.
Since 2.6.36 this is the prefix for the cross compiler, so its value is
prepended before 'gcc' during make.

Setting it to CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="" should solve that issue.
 
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Brian Davis
 
Default Kernel won't build, but binutils is up to date

Excellent, that worked, thanks!

----------------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 21:09:12 +0100
> From: c.nicolas@gmail.com
> To: gentoo-hardened@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Kernel won't build, but binutils is up to date
>
> On 01/07/2011 04:39 PM, Brian Davis wrote:
> > Here's what happens when I try to build 2.6.36-r6:
> >
> > # make && make modules_install
> > /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: ngcc:
> > command not found
> > /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: ngcc:
> > command not found
> > make: ngcc: Command not found
> > CHK include/linux/version.h
> > CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
> > /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/arch/x86/Makefile:202: ***
> > *** 2.6 PaX kernels no longer build correctly with old versions of binutils.
> > *** Please upgrade your binutils to 2.18 or newer. Stop.
>
> Hm, try first fixing the ngcc thing. I had the same ngcc issue when
> moving my office desktop from gentoo-sources 2.6.35 to 2.6.36 using make
> oldconfig.
>
> You might have a CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="n" in your .config.
> This setting was not used by 2.6.35 and previous versions.
> Since 2.6.36 this is the prefix for the cross compiler, so its value is
> prepended before 'gcc' during make.
>
> Setting it to CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="" should solve that issue.
>
 
Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 PM
"Anthony G. Basile"
 
Default Kernel won't build, but binutils is up to date

On 01/07/2011 03:09 PM, Cyprien Nicolas wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 04:39 PM, Brian Davis wrote:
>> Here's what happens when I try to build 2.6.36-r6:
>>
>> # make && make modules_install
>> /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: ngcc:
>> command not found
>> /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: ngcc:
>> command not found
>> make: ngcc: Command not found
>> CHK include/linux/version.h
>> CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
>> /usr/src/linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6/arch/x86/Makefile:202: ***
>> *** 2.6 PaX kernels no longer build correctly with old versions of binutils.
>> *** Please upgrade your binutils to 2.18 or newer. Stop.
>
> Hm, try first fixing the ngcc thing. I had the same ngcc issue when
> moving my office desktop from gentoo-sources 2.6.35 to 2.6.36 using make
> oldconfig.
>
> You might have a CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="n" in your .config.
> This setting was not used by 2.6.35 and previous versions.
> Since 2.6.36 this is the prefix for the cross compiler, so its value is
> prepended before 'gcc' during make.
>
> Setting it to CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="" should solve that issue.

Sorry came to the conversation late. I see you've got it. Let me just
comment that CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="n" has happened a lot and the
solution is to set CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE="". This crept in during some
update (I forget which) in which the meaning of the option changed. This
is causing kbuild to interpret the option as a prefix rather than "no I
don't have a cross compiler".

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org