Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM
"Tóth Attila"

Default Disappearing root on 2.6.36-hardened-r6 upgrade

No errors were found after 12 hours of memtest.

However some serious crashes still occur.

I attach snippets of kern.log.

Is it still suggests a hardware error?

I have to try out another laptop. That is not convenient...

Dw.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

2010.December 30.(Cs) 21:35 időpontban pageexec@freemail.hu ezt *rta:

Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM
"Tóth Attila"

Forgotten attachment

Old 01-04-2011, 03:46 PM

On 4 Jan 2011 at 14:52, "Tth Attila" wrote:

> No errors were found after 12 hours of memtest.
>
> However some serious crashes still occur.
>
> I attach snippets of kern.log.
>
> Is it still suggests a hardware error?

when i said memory corruption, i didn't mean a hw error but a sw one
that causes it . and i wonder whether the buggy code is in vanilla
already or not since we don't really touch the failing code directly.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM

On 4 Jan 2011 at 19:38, "Tth Attila" wrote:

> Would it be possible that the CPU itself is actually failing (opcode 0000)?

not in this case, always look at the first problem, everything else may very
well be just collateral damage. and that's a BUG_ON so it's the kernel that
detects some bad condition. and since that code and condition are fs related,
it's probably best to let the fs guys debug it but they'll deal with it only
if you can reproduce it with vanilla.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
"Tóth Attila"

I see. Now I fired up my spare notebook and transferred the system in the
mean time. :P

I'm currently suffering of crashes occuring while I'm transcoding a
scientific event's DVD content. It became very frustrating.

Would it be possible that the CPU itself is actually failing (opcode 0000)?
The temperature is absolutely within normal limits even during heavy
usage, so I'm sure it's not because of overheating. It's a Pentium M
1.8Ghz, and the notebook's fan is OK.

I'll give vanilla a spin, nevertheless. How I could get closer to the
failing code in case of a kernel problem? Are there any useful suggestions
- besides changing architecture (which is not possible at the moment)?

Thanks:
Dw.
--

2011.Január 4.(K) 17:46 időpontban pageexec@freemail.hu ezt *rta:

Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
"Tóth Attila"

I'd like to give a feedback regarding the crashes I've reported.
I transferred my system to my spare laptop (exactly the same model). I
haven't experienced any hangups or file systems problems so far, using the
same kernel (hardened-sources-2.6.36-r7) and performing the same tasks -
including a regular weekly upgrade (at least xulrunner).
That drives me to the direction, that it may be possible, that my problems
were caused by some sort of hardware glitch. I would rather repair my
laptop rather than ordering another spare device. Since there were no
problems running memtest for 12+ hours, I suspect some problems with
either the CPU or the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard lays beyond
my resources, so I'll replace the CPU. That is pretty convenient,
especially because I have a spare CPU in my drawer.

What would you guys suggest to test the system with besides emerging
qt-gui? Are there any memtest equivalent for checking the CPU?

Thx:
Dw.
--

2011.Január 4.(K) 19:18 időpontban pageexec@freemail.hu ezt *rta:

Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Alex Efros

Hi!

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 03:55:14PM +0100, "Tth Attila" wrote:
> What would you guys suggest to test the system with besides emerging
> qt-gui? Are there any memtest equivalent for checking the CPU?

You can try app-benchmarks/cpuburn. It's not memtest equivalent, of
course, but it may help you detect some issues.

--
WBR, Alex.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 PM
"Tóth Attila"

The replacement system is completely OK.
The faulty system shows symptoms of random crash even after replacing the
CPU. Of course the kernel panic manifest itself in a form of a sync error.
And the HDD is absolutely OK.
There are some flaws with the motherboard or some other core components
other than the CPU and the memory. I don't have enough time and energy to
replace the motherboard. Somehow I still have to do it. And these symptoms
are rather nasty and rude...

I think it's a hardware error related to the specific system. Sorry for
the noise.

Regards:
Dw.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

2011.Január 9.(V) 23:20 időpontban Alex Efros ezt *rta: