Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Marcel Meyer

Default state of GPG-signing in portage

Hi,

I'm wondering if the GPG-signing feature within portage is already useable
(if I recall correctly it was startet 2004 or 2005). If yes, how can I use
it correctly and where to get the gpg-key "securely"? The URLs I found by
googling do no longer exist :-(

Thank you,
Marcel

Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Ned Ludd

Please direct portage feature, timetable, and usability related
questions to the appropriate mailing list gentoo-portage@lists.gentoo...

Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Marcel Meyer

Am Samstag, 12. Januar 2008 schrieb Ned Ludd:
> > I'm wondering if the GPG-signing feature within portage is already
> > useable (if I recall correctly it was startet 2004 or 2005). If yes,
> > how can I use it correctly and where to get the gpg-key "securely"? The
> > URLs I found by googling do no longer exist :-(
> Please direct portage feature, timetable, and usability related
> questions to the appropriate mailing list gentoo-portage@lists.gentoo...
Thanks for pointing me to it! I thought this would be a child of the
hardened project.

Thanks,
Marcel

Old 01-12-2008, 04:32 AM
Marius Mauch

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:49:10 +0100
Marcel Meyer <meyerm@fs.tum.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if the GPG-signing feature within portage is already
> useable (if I recall correctly it was startet 2004 or 2005?). If yes,
> how can I use it correctly and where to get the gpg-key "securely"?
> The URLs I found by googling do no longer exist :-(

"signing" (with limited coverage) is usable and used on a wide scale for
years now, but as that only matters to ebuild devs I think you're more
interested in "verification", and that's not usable at all (and before
you ask, there is no ETA about it).

Marius

Old 01-12-2008, 05:36 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 05:49:10AM +0100, Marcel Meyer wrote:
> I'm wondering if the GPG-signing feature within portage is already useable
> (if I recall correctly it was startet 2004 or 2005?). If yes, how can I use
> it correctly and where to get the gpg-key "securely"? The URLs I found by
> googling do no longer exist :-(
You can read the conceptual stuff in progress here:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/users/robbat2/tree-signing-gleps/

I need to find time to integrate the last round of comments into it, and
then several of them will be getting posted as proposal GLEPs for the
mandatory period.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy