Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Deadlock detected at boot?!

On 29 Dec 2007 at 14:21, Michel Arboi wrote:

> Since sys-kernel/hardened-sources was updated to 2.6.23, my kernels
> freezed on boot. The machine is headless, I needed some time to
> investigate and fix this. I stayed in 2.6.20 meanwhile. I finally had
> a look at it. I got a working 2.6.23 kernel by removing the "Build a
> relocatable kernel" option. I don't know why I set it, and as I don't
> need it, no problem.

it's needed for KEXEC or KDUMP, iirc. i've spent quite some time to get
it to work here at least, so if it still breaks, i'd like you to first
check out the PaX patch alone (grsecurity.net/test.php) then also send
me your .config if it still breaks.

> Anyway, I enabled several debugging options, especially about the lock
> detection, and now gets this (rather frightening) message.
> Is it dangerous? And is there a way to fix that?
> BTW, I am running GrSec at "Hardened [Gentoo]" level (I can provide
> more details, please ask).

since grsec functions showed up in the traces i've forwarded your mail
to spender, next time feel free to contact him directly as he's the
most likely to figure his code out .

Old 12-29-2007, 01:08 PM
"Michel Arboi"

On Dec 29, 2007 1:37 PM, <pageexec@freemail.hu> wrote:
> it's needed for KEXEC or KDUMP, iirc.

Mmmmhhh... Do we really need that on a hardened system??

> check out the PaX patch alone (grsecurity.net/test.php)

OK, I'll have a look at it.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM

On 29 Dec 2007 at 15:08, Michel Arboi wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2007 1:37 PM, <pageexec@freemail.hu> wrote:
> > it's needed for KEXEC or KDUMP, iirc.
>
> Mmmmhhh... Do we really need that on a hardened system??

i think they're orthogonal to hardened as they're more related
to reliability than security per se.