-   Gentoo Hardened (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-hardened/)
-   -   Hardened laptop: am I nuts? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-hardened/12468-hardened-laptop-am-i-nuts.html)

Grant 12-04-2007 10:18 PM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

I installed a hardened profile on my new laptop and I'm having major
issues with apps like vmware, skype, wengo, and firefox-bin. Is
anyone else using a hardened desktop system with a hardened profile?
Am I nuts?

- Grant

Ned Ludd 12-04-2007 11:46 PM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 15:18 -0800, Grant wrote:
> I installed a hardened profile on my new laptop and I'm having major
> issues with apps like vmware, skype, wengo, and firefox-bin.

The problems you say are major are actually pretty trivial.
Search our mailing list most of those programs have been covered as
well as the work-a-rounds before. hints: dmesg, paxctl, paxctl -C,
$EDITOR,emerge -C, etc...

> Is anyone else using a hardened desktop system with a hardened profile?

Yes. Lots of us do..

> Am I nuts?

I'm not qualified to answer this question.

> - Grant

12-04-2007 11:50 PM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

On 4 Dec 2007 at 17:08, Grant wrote:

> > Search our mailing list most of those programs have been covered as
> > well as the work-a-rounds before.
>
> I've been subscribed to this list since 09/2004. It's all in my gmail
> account and "skype", "vmware", "wango", and "firefox-bin" searches
> bring up about 4 messages each (including this one). None describe my
> problem.

to be honest, you haven't exactly described your problem(s) either...

Grant 12-04-2007 11:59 PM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

> > I installed a hardened profile on my new laptop and I'm having major
> > issues with apps like vmware, skype, wengo, and firefox-bin.
>
> The problems you say are major are actually pretty trivial.

If you mean the problem of not being able to use those programs is
trivial I must disagree, but if you mean its a trivial problem that
keeps me from using those programs, then I hope so.

> Search our mailing list most of those programs have been covered as
> well as the work-a-rounds before. hints: dmesg, paxctl, paxctl -C,
> $EDITOR,emerge -C, etc...

The only one I'm unfamiliar with there is paxctl and I'm not using PAX
in the kernel. Does having a hardened profile mean I'm using PAX in
another way? I'll do a mailing list search for the program names I
listed.

- Grant

"Alex Howells" 12-05-2007 12:00 AM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

> > Is anyone else using a hardened desktop system with a hardened profile?
>
> Yes. Lots of us do..

Fuel the paranoia! Plenty of good reasons to run a hardened profile
on your desktop :) Have you gone down the route of using
hardened-sources, or are you using RSBAC? Maybe you went for SELinux?
More info required...

> > Am I nuts?
>
> I'm not qualified to answer this question.

I'm an amateur psychologist, so answer for me;

* Do you dream about men in white lab coats?
* Are aliens conspiring to h4xx0r your desktop?
* Is the NSA really watching you? Right now?
* Does Paris Hilton really have genius-level intellect?
* Is your first name Grant?

If your answer to two (or more) of the above is 'YES' then you may
need help. Dial 1-800-COMMITME right away!

Grant 12-05-2007 12:08 AM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

Grant 12-05-2007 12:11 AM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

> > > Is anyone else using a hardened desktop system with a hardened profile?
> >
> > Yes. Lots of us do..
>
> Fuel the paranoia! Plenty of good reasons to run a hardened profile
> on your desktop :) Have you gone down the route of using
> hardened-sources, or are you using RSBAC? Maybe you went for SELinux?
> More info required...

I'm indeed using hardened-sources.

> > > Am I nuts?
> >
> > I'm not qualified to answer this question.
>
> I'm an amateur psychologist, so answer for me;
>
> * Do you dream about men in white lab coats?
> * Are aliens conspiring to h4xx0r your desktop?
> * Is the NSA really watching you? Right now?
> * Does Paris Hilton really have genius-level intellect?
> * Is your first name Grant?
>
> If your answer to two (or more) of the above is 'YES' then you may
> need help. Dial 1-800-COMMITME right away!

You sarcasm is so thick I can't get at the substance. Care to water
it down? Something like "a hardened laptop is a good idea" or
alternatively "a hardened laptop is a bad idea" or even "a hardened
laptop is OK".

- Grant

12-05-2007 12:17 AM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

On 4 Dec 2007 at 18:11, Grant wrote:

> $ skype
> /usr/bin/skype: line 10: /opt/skype/skype: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/skype: line 10: /opt/skype/skype: Success
> $ wengophone
> /opt/bin/wengophone: line 10: /opt/wengophone/qtwengophone: No such
> file or directory
> /opt/bin/wengophone: line 10: /opt/wengophone/qtwengophone: Success
> $ firefox-bin
> /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 368:
> /opt/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: No such file or directory
> Unknown error 127 from mozilla-xremote-client
> /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 460: /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: No
> such file or directory
> firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (127)
>
> All of the errors are very similar, and all of the files they say
> don't exist definitely do.

all of them seem to be in /opt. is that a special mount with noexec
set perhaps? otherwise you could 'strace -f' one of these and check
what exactly fails.

Grant 12-05-2007 01:11 AM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

> > > Search our mailing list most of those programs have been covered as
> > > well as the work-a-rounds before.
> >
> > I've been subscribed to this list since 09/2004. It's all in my gmail
> > account and "skype", "vmware", "wango", and "firefox-bin" searches
> > bring up about 4 messages each (including this one). None describe my
> > problem.
>
> to be honest, you haven't exactly described your problem(s) either...

You're right. I get this:

"Alex Howells" 12-05-2007 09:31 AM

Hardened laptop: am I nuts?

On 05/12/2007, pageexec@freemail.hu <pageexec@freemail.hu> wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2007 at 18:11, Grant wrote:
>
> > $ skype
> > /usr/bin/skype: line 10: /opt/skype/skype: No such file or directory
> > /usr/bin/skype: line 10: /opt/skype/skype: Success
> > $ wengophone
> > /opt/bin/wengophone: line 10: /opt/wengophone/qtwengophone: No such
> > file or directory
> > /opt/bin/wengophone: line 10: /opt/wengophone/qtwengophone: Success
> > $ firefox-bin
> > /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 368:
> > /opt/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: No such file or directory
> > Unknown error 127 from mozilla-xremote-client
> > /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 460: /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: No
> > such file or directory
> > firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (127)
> >
> > All of the errors are very similar, and all of the files they say
> > don't exist definitely do.
>
> all of them seem to be in /opt. is that a special mount with noexec
> set perhaps? otherwise you could 'strace -f' one of these and check
> what exactly fails.

It'd also be very useful to see the output of 'emerge --info' so we
can tell what profile you're using, any awkward CFLAGs which aren't
compatible with hardened which might have been enabled...

My earlier post wasn't really sarcasm, just badly done humour :) You
can blame it on me being Welsh, or whatever.