Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 AM
ispiam

Default Gentoo on PC/104

Hello all,

Our platform is a PC/104 (x86) with additional boards (analog and digital
I/O, serial ports, ethernet, etc.)

We are thinking of using gentoo as OS. Do you know what are the
advantages/disadvantages of using this Linux distribution over the others?
(Suse, Ubuntu, Redhat, etc.) any recommendation for an embedded OS?

And if so, what development tools should I use to develop my applications?

Thank you in advance!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Karl Hiramoto

ispiam wrote:

Hello all,

Our platform is a PC/104 (x86) with additional boards (analog and digital
I/O, serial ports, ethernet, etc.)

We are thinking of using gentoo as OS. Do you know what are the

advantages/disadvantages of using this Linux distribution over the others?
(Suse, Ubuntu, Redhat, etc.) any recommendation for an embedded OS?

Well of course gentoo is very customizable. You should decide if you
want to use uclibc or glibc (Depending on your RAM, Flash/Disk
storrage). Other distros AFIK don't have the option to use uclibc.

Perhaps you should read:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TinyGentoo
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Embedded_Gentoo

Another option is to roll your own with buildroot, and if you want
"packages" use ipkg.

And if so, what development tools should I use to develop my applications?

Gcc, and make.? :-)

Some people like eclipse.

Thank you in advance!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Peter Stuge

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:11:54PM -0700, ispiam wrote:
> We are thinking of using gentoo as OS. Do you know what are the
> advantages/disadvantages of using this Linux distribution over the
> others?
> (Suse, Ubuntu, Redhat, etc.) any recommendation for an embedded OS?

I like Gentoo a lot.

Especially with an x86 system, catalyst is quite handy to build the
system image.

> And if so, what development tools should I use to develop my
> applications?

Nothing can beat C IMO, so gcc and if you want GUI your favorite
toolkit.

//Peter