-   -   current recipe for creating an embedded gentoo x86 box? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/7975-current-recipe-creating-embedded-gentoo-x86-box.html)

"John Utz" 11-29-2007 03:24 AM

current recipe for creating an embedded gentoo x86 box?

Hello;

I have something that i am working on that i would like to migrate from
a crusty old rh62 thing to a spanky new gentoo thing.

At it's crudest, it seems to me that i could just install x86 2007.1 up
to stage 3 and be off to a not too bad start.

But there is no way that i need a compiler or anything like that on the
box so stage3 has more things on it than i need.

I cant imagine that i am the first person on eath that ever wanted to
do something like this.

But i have googled with some degree of vigor over the last few months
and not come up with any sort of succinct list of things to do to
create such a box.

Has anyone created something like this and would they be willing to
share the steps they took to do it?

tnx!

johnu

matt hull 11-29-2007 03:50 AM

current recipe for creating an embedded gentoo x86 box?

i think the easiest way is to put the hard drive in and mount it.
then install to it from an existing gentoo system.

ROOT=/mnt/embedded-install emerge SOMEPACKAGE

then you need make the kernel, and copy over the modules or

INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/mnt/embedded-install make modules_install after
compiling the kernel

i am still testing this on my desktop (x86) and my ibook (ppc)

matt

"John Utz" 11-29-2007 04:01 AM

current recipe for creating an embedded gentoo x86 box?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:50:16 -0600
"matt hull" <mattmatteh@mac.com> wrote:

> i think the easiest way is to put the hard drive in and mount it.
> then install to it from an existing gentoo system.

that's rather interesting and seems pretty simple

> ROOT=/mnt/embedded-install emerge SOMEPACKAGE
>
> then you need make the kernel, and copy over the modules or
>
> INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/mnt/embedded-install make modules_install after
> compiling the kernel

i didnt know the specific fu for this stuff so this is quite useful.

> i am still testing this on my desktop (x86) and my ibook (ppc)

that will be very interesting. i imagine that your ibook will be
pretty snappy feeling after you are finished - assuming you use some
lightweight wm

tho i would wonder how well all the suspend stuff will work....

in any case, thankyou for your suggestion!

johnu

> matt
>
> On Nov 28, 2007, at 10:24 PM, John Utz wrote:
>
> > Hello;
> >
> > I have something that i am working on that i would like to migrate
> > from
> > a crusty old rh62 thing to a spanky new gentoo thing.
> >
> > At it's crudest, it seems to me that i could just install x86
> > 2007.1 up
> > to stage 3 and be off to a not too bad start.
> >
> > But there is no way that i need a compiler or anything like that
> > on the
> > box so stage3 has more things on it than i need.
> >
> > I cant imagine that i am the first person on eath that ever wanted
> > to do something like this.
> >
> > But i have googled with some degree of vigor over the last few
> > months and not come up with any sort of succinct list of things to
> > do to create such a box.
> >
> > Has anyone created something like this and would they be willing to
> > share the steps they took to do it?
> >
> > tnx!
> >
> > johnu
> >
> > --

11-29-2007 09:45 AM

current recipe for creating an embedded gentoo x86 box?

>i think the easiest way is to put the hard drive in and mount it.
>then install to it from an existing gentoo system.
>
>ROOT=/mnt/embedded-install emerge SOMEPACKAGE

IMO, it should be this simple, but in my experience it isn't. Having
said that, I tried it almost a year ago so things may have improved
since then.

There are circular dependencies for the low-level system packages which
have to be fixed using the "bootstrap" and "build" use flags. I can't
remember the specifics.

Personally I'd like to be able to have an empty directory, create the
configuration (make.conf, make.profile, /etc/portage etc) and do a
"ROOT=xxxx emerge system". It would be even slicker if the configuration
could specify an arm target and it automagically cross-compiled
everything.

Please post the results of your experiments, I'm very interested to see
how far this has progressed in the last year.

Cheers,

Tom