Old 04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Ned Ludd

Default Emerging into SYSROOT causes packages to install in host system

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 05:45 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2008, Dave Bender wrote:
> > I am attempting to cross compile x86 packages on an x86_64 host. In
> > particular, when I attempt to emerge baselayout-2 into my SYSROOT path,
> > emerge wants to emerge baselayout-2 into my host system. PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT
> > is also set to the SYSROOT, so I do not understand why for example,
> > package.mask on my host system is taken into account at all when emerge
> > determines dependencies.
> > I am following the instructions in Chapter 5 of the Embedded Gentoo
> > Handbook to the letter and do not understand why this behaviour is
> > occurring.
>
> please post the exact commands as well as resulting output. us guessing at
> what exactly you're doing simply causes confusion and wastes yours and our
> time.

Mike, actually I think I know the bug he is hitting.
If portage sees that you have a dep not installed on / even if you pass
ROOT=/somedir SYSCONFIG=/usr/$CTARGET ARCH=arm CHOST=arm-something
emerge -pvq someapp ; you will get
[ebuild N ] app-foo/bar
[ebuild N ] app-foo/bar $ROOT

So if you are using a wrapper and blindly start merging.. Cross compiled
shit will end up on / despite you not asking for it. Zac says this is
current expected behavior but I'd outright call it the most fscked up
portage behavior ever along with the recent INSTALL_MASK= no longer
working when using -K

Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Matthijs Kooijman

Hi,

> As I mention in my earlier email, build host is x86_64, target is x86
> (specifically c3 processor).
If your host is x86_64, wouldn't it make sense to use a x86 chroot as
development host instead (which would run on your normal x86_64 kernel)? I
have exactly this setup, and this prevents any sort of cross compilation from
being necessary.

Gr.

Matthijs

Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Ned Ludd

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 14:47 -0400, Dave Bender wrote:
> Extended report:

You might want to CC: gentoo-portage mailing list on this and follow up
with a bug report for them to return to old behavior or introduce a new
way for us to not break our host systems. Not much
will get solved to fix the root of the problem on the gentoo-embedded
list other than us just confirming a recently noticed misbehavior.

Thanks in advance.