Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Christopher Friedt

Default does linux have a default sync() period?

Does anyone know incidentally whether or not the linux kernel sync()s
periodically or if there is some default buffer time in place for disk
writes. Does linux sync() only when told to?

I'm particularly thinking about USB storage.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Peter Stuge

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:02:20PM -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Does anyone know incidentally whether or not the linux kernel sync()s
> periodically or if there is some default buffer time in place for disk
> writes.

Check out laptop mode /usr/src/linux/Documentation/laptop-mode.txt
and maybe noflushd http://noflushd.sf.net/ though it is rather old.

This may also be helpful:
http://www.linux-security.cn/ebooks/ulk3-html/0596005652/understandlk-CHP-15-SECT-3.html

Try googling for deferred write linux or the *dflush keywords.

//Peter