Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 does not belong to any package?

On Sunday 18 March 2012 14:53:44 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> What bugs me is that one can generally use /usr/$CTARGET as your root fs on
> your favourite embedded target. Doing so will loose libgcc_s.so as there
> isn't one installed. Having to install gcc into /usr/$CTARGET just to get
> libgcc_s is a bit much.

why does this actually matter ? as noted, this hack is merely there to
support a split /usr setup. if you're using /usr/$CTARGET as your rootfs,
then you aren't going to have a split /usr, and thus the lib copy is
unnecessary.

> Also, would it not be better if glibc showed up in
> export ROOT=/usr/${CTARGET} PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/pkgs
> quickpkg `qlist -IC` instead of
> export ROOT=/ PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/cross-tools quickpkg
> `qlist -IC cross-${CTARGET}` ?

no. cross-${CTARGET}/glibc is a cross-compiler glibc, not a native one. yes,
you can run it through a script to move things around so that it'd basically
have the same install as a native glibc, but the existing one is not.

it might be useful to have crossdev automatically inject glibc into
package.provided for /usr/$CTARGET since attempting to install a native one in
there will hit conflicts.
-mike

Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Joakim Tjernlund

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2012/03/19 01:51:53:

> On Sunday 18 March 2012 14:53:44 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > What bugs me is that one can generally use /usr/$CTARGET as your root fs on
> > your favourite embedded target. Doing so will loose libgcc_s.so as there
> > isn't one installed. Having to install gcc into /usr/$CTARGET just to get
> > libgcc_s is a bit much.
>
> why does this actually matter ? as noted, this hack is merely there to
> support a split /usr setup. if you're using /usr/$CTARGET as your rootfs,
> then you aren't going to have a split /usr, and thus the lib copy is
> unnecessary.

I don't quite understand. If I copy /usr/$CTARGET to my target board
as rootfs there will be no libgcc on my target and NPTL needs it.

> > Also, would it not be better if glibc showed up in
> > export ROOT=/usr/${CTARGET} PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/pkgs
> > quickpkg `qlist -IC` instead of
> > export ROOT=/ PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/cross-tools quickpkg
> > `qlist -IC cross-${CTARGET}` ?
>
> no. cross-${CTARGET}/glibc is a cross-compiler glibc, not a native one. yes,
> you can run it through a script to move things around so that it'd basically
> have the same install as a native glibc, but the existing one is not.
>
> it might be useful to have crossdev automatically inject glibc into
> package.provided for /usr/$CTARGET since attempting to install a native one in
> there will hit conflicts.

hmm, I always viewed glibc under /usr/$CTARGET as a native target glibc which
could be copied to the target directly, but now you say it is not?

So I should continue building glibc under my own tree (that is what I have been doing
but I figured I could optimize away that step)?

Jocke

Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 19 March 2012 14:09:00 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote on 2012/03/19 01:51:53:
> > On Sunday 18 March 2012 14:53:44 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > > What bugs me is that one can generally use /usr/$CTARGET as your root
> > > fs on your favourite embedded target. Doing so will loose libgcc_s.so
> > > as there isn't one installed. Having to install gcc into /usr/$CTARGET
> > > just to get libgcc_s is a bit much.
> >
> > why does this actually matter ? as noted, this hack is merely there to
> > support a split /usr setup. if you're using /usr/$CTARGET as your
> > rootfs, then you aren't going to have a split /usr, and thus the lib
> > copy is unnecessary.
>
> I don't quite understand. If I copy /usr/$CTARGET to my target board
> as rootfs there will be no libgcc on my target and NPTL needs it.

true, but the copying process to /lib is pretty orthogonal to that. if
anything, i plan on deprecating the gcc-config logic to only copying to /lib if
it detects that /usr is split.

as for the libgcc_s.so missing completely, today you have to:
ROOT=/usr/${CTARGET} emerge sys-devel/gcc
as libgcc_s.so isn't the only library you're missing. none of the gcc libs
are installed in there (libstdc++, libmudflap, libgfortran, etc...).

might be another useful hack script to include in crossdev ... give it a
/usr/$CTARGET to transparently sync gcc libs into from your cross-compiler.
obviously if you want to run `gcc` on the target though you're going to have
to do what i said above with the ROOT/emerge.

> > > Also, would it not be better if glibc showed up in
> > >
> > > export ROOT=/usr/${CTARGET} PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/pkgs
> > >
> > > quickpkg `qlist -IC` instead of
> > >
> > > export ROOT=/ PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/cross-tools quickpkg
> > >
> > > `qlist -IC cross-${CTARGET}` ?
> >
> > no. cross-${CTARGET}/glibc is a cross-compiler glibc, not a native one.
> > yes, you can run it through a script to move things around so that it'd
> > basically have the same install as a native glibc, but the existing one
> > is not.
> >
> > it might be useful to have crossdev automatically inject glibc into
> > package.provided for /usr/$CTARGET since attempting to install a native
> > one in there will hit conflicts.
>
> hmm, I always viewed glibc under /usr/$CTARGET as a native target glibc
> which could be copied to the target directly, but now you say it is not?

there are some things which we do not currently install with the cross-
compiler glibc. in the past, we didn't install any /bin or /sbin executables
at all, although that's changed recently. quickly checking the ebuild shows
that none of the locale helper scripts are installed. it wasn't my original
design decision, but i'm open to bringing down the differences.
-mike

Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 19 March 2012 15:32:18 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i plan on deprecating the gcc-config logic to only copying to
> /lib if it detects that /usr is split.

gcc-config-1.6 does this now
-mike