Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default Cross-compile and libtool

* Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@gentoo.org> schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I have an issue with libtool and cross compile.

libtool is totally broken and unable to cross-compile.
you might consider unitool (and it's libtool-replacement).

cu

Old 12-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Friday 23 November 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> I have an issue with libtool and cross compile.

as much of a tool as Enrico is, he is right that libtool is not currently
conducive to cross-compiling. pkg-config seems to be doing a nicer job of
exporting dependencies.

> When merging a library which uses libtool, it creates the .la file
> with libdir= variable, usually it will contain /usr/lib.

libtool is based off of $libdir (which is usually based off of $prefix). it
doesnt really have a concept of separating build and run paths.

> Eventually I ended up with patching every package I use with the
> following patch in order to make it work:

a nicer method would probably to add a post-install bashrc hook that mungs the
installed libtool scripts (*.la) by changing libdir= by prefixing $SYSROOT.
ive used this in other environments pretty successfully.

sed -i -e "/^libdir=/s:=:='$SYSROOT':" $SYSROOT/usr/lib*/*.la
-mike

Old 12-25-2007, 04:07 PM
"Alon Bar-Lev"

Thanks for the reply!

On 12/24/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> a nicer method would probably to add a post-install bashrc hook that mungs the
> installed libtool scripts (*.la) by changing libdir= by prefixing $SYSROOT.
> ive used this in other environments pretty successfully.
>
> sed -i -e "/^libdir=/s:=:='$SYSROOT':" $SYSROOT/usr/lib*/*.la

This is what I've done... As a temporary solution...
But it breaks the chroot environment...
I think better is to fix libtool in elibtoolize, so that it will
append ${ROOT} to the libdir when reading the .la files.

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday 25 December 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 12/24/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > a nicer method would probably to add a post-install bashrc hook that
> > mungs the installed libtool scripts (*.la) by changing libdir= by
> > prefixing $SYSROOT. ive used this in other environments pretty
> > successfully.
> >
> > sed -i -e "/^libdir=/s:=:='$SYSROOT':" $SYSROOT/usr/lib*/*.la
>
> This is what I've done... As a temporary solution...
> But it breaks the chroot environment...

*shrug* most people do not use the development root as the runtime
environment, let alone do building on the embedded machine. so such an issue
isnt a big deal.

> I think better is to fix libtool in elibtoolize, so that it will
> append ${ROOT} to the libdir when reading the .la files.

you mean prepend. feel free to write such a patch. then again, that too is
not a solution as $(ROOT) is merely where things get installed ... you cannot
assume it is the place to link against things. it is not the sysroot.
-mike