Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Tom Cooksey

Default Running Genntoo inside a QEMU VM

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to run Gentoo on a QEMU virtual machine.

I'm currently testing Qt/Embedded 4.4.0 and it would be really useful to have
several virtual machines to test it on, specifically arm, mips & PPC.

I've looked at the arm handbook and it says there's only stages for the old arm
ABI, it that still the case? I need to test against EABI really.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Radek Polak

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to run Gentoo on a QEMU virtual machine.

I'm currently testing Qt/Embedded 4.4.0 and it would be really useful to have
several virtual machines to test it on, specifically arm, mips & PPC.

I've looked at the arm handbook and it says there's only stages for the old arm
ABI, it that still the case? I need to test against EABI really.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,
you can check this link [1]. It worked fine for me.

[1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_PDA#Building_in_qemu

Cheers

Radek

Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Felix Leimbach

Hi Tom,

I'm running a couple of gentoo servers on top of KVM very successfully.
KVM basically is QEMU with hardware virtualization support.
You may want to use a 2.6.25 kernel as that has support for the new
paravirtualized virtio block and net devices which speed things up. Also
you should build a tickless kernel if possible as that should reduce the
CPU an idle guest uses.

Performance and stability are top notch in my experience.

I did not set up architectures other than x86 and x64, though.

regards,
Felix

Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
"Alexey Shvetsov"

Hi!

Arm eabi works fine
both native and cross compiler if you use at least gcc-4.2
binutils-2.18 and glibc-2.7
i haven't tested eabi with uclibc yet

Alexxy

2008/4/2, Radek Polak <psonek2@seznam.cz>:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone has tried to run Gentoo on a QEMU virtual machine.
> >
> > I'm currently testing Qt/Embedded 4.4.0 and it would be really useful to
> have
> > several virtual machines to test it on, specifically arm, mips & PPC.
> >
> > I've looked at the arm handbook and it says there's only stages for the
> old arm
> > ABI, it that still the case? I need to test against EABI really.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tom
> >

> Hi Tom,
> you can check this link [1]. It worked fine for me.
>
> [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_PDA#Building_in_qemu
>
> Cheers
>
> Radek

Gentoo GNU/Linux 2.6.23 Dual Xeon