Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Jean-Marc Beaune

Default Installing gentoo on Soekris Net4801 - not booting

Hi,
I'm trying to reinstall Gentoo on my Soekris Net4801 but after a fresh install it won't boot.
Via the serial port I can see grub booting:"GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait..."
Then nothing else but a blinking cursor.
Any idea how I can debug that?

Thank you--
Jean-Marc

Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Jean-Marc Beaune

I added options in grub.conf to make kernel speak on ttyS0 but that didn't help.
I tried with Lilo, it's not much better but but at least it says "No such image".

Any idea what that means?
Thank you,JM

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:

Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:

> Via the serial port I can see grub booting:

> "GRUB Loading stage1.5.

> GRUB loading, please wait..."

> Then nothing else but a blinking cursor.

> Any idea how I can debug that?

Check that your kernel is speaking on the serial port.

I for one have had annoying trouble with GRUB on two instances, and

then I went back to using LILO as I have always, and it continues to

always just work, also with 3TB GPT drives in an old server..

//Peter

--
Jean-Marc