Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Jakub Ladman

Default embedded gentoo handbook

Hi
Please add some additional examples how-to build functional toolchains, i am
still unable to create functional arm-x-linux-uclibc(eabi) toolchain.
It takes half year.
There is only one example with some sh4 tuple.

Which versions of binutils, gcc, uclibc, headers to select?
How to disable locale support (if the problem is in it).

I know two other people who have the same problems.

Thank you

Jakub Ladman

Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 19 March 2008, Jakub Ladman wrote:
> Please add some additional examples how-to build functional toolchains, i
> am still unable to create functional arm-x-linux-uclibc(eabi) toolchain. It
> takes half year.
> There is only one example with some sh4 tuple.

i dont see the point. copying and pasting the same sections over and over and
only changing the tuple sounds like a waste of time and space.

> Which versions of binutils, gcc, uclibc, headers to select?

such information is way too dynamic to be half maintained. no way i'm doing
it in the handbook. if someone wants to actively watch version combinations
for various tuples, we can talk. otherwise the answer is no.

> How to disable locale support (if the problem is in it).

this is a FAQ that should get added
-mike

Old 03-20-2008, 10:55 AM
David Ford

If you want confirmed tuples of matching versions, I recommend you keep
an eye on crosstool by Dan Kegel, http://kegel.com/crosstool. He has a
set of scripts for each platform supported and the scripts are set up so
you can easily see which package versions appear to work together.

http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/buildlogs/ is the master chart
of versions.

-david

> On Wednesday 19 March 2008, Jakub Ladman wrote:
>
>> Which versions of binutils, gcc, uclibc, headers to select?

[...]

Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Matt Fleming

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:55:24AM -0400, David Ford wrote:
> If you want confirmed tuples of matching versions, I recommend you keep
> an eye on crosstool by Dan Kegel, http://kegel.com/crosstool. He has a
> set of scripts for each platform supported and the scripts are set up so
> you can easily see which package versions appear to work together.
>
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/buildlogs/ is the master chart
> of versions.
>
> -david

Unfortunately that doesn't include uclibc, but it's probably a good
starting point.

--mjf

Old 03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Christopher Friedt

I would suggest that the gentoo-wiki is a decent place to post
arch-specific instructions. It would definitely be way too crowded in
the gentoo embedded handbook.

I've already written quite a bit on the gentoo wiki for
arm-unknown-linux-gnu and armv4tl-maverick-linux-gnueabi.

Cheers,

Chris

PS: Incidentally, has anyone been having problems with busybox's reboot?
I've had to inject some of the code from 1.0.0 into 1.8.2 in order to
make reboot functional again.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday 20 March 2008, David Ford wrote:
> If you want confirmed tuples of matching versions, I recommend you keep
> an eye on crosstool by Dan Kegel, http://kegel.com/crosstool. He has a
> set of scripts for each platform supported and the scripts are set up so
> you can easily see which package versions appear to work together.
>
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/buildlogs/ is the master chart
> of versions.

useful to add a link from the handbook i think
-mike

Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:55:24AM -0400, David Ford wrote:
> > If you want confirmed tuples of matching versions, I recommend you keep
> > an eye on crosstool by Dan Kegel, http://kegel.com/crosstool. He has a
> > set of scripts for each platform supported and the scripts are set up so
> > you can easily see which package versions appear to work together.
> >
> > http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/buildlogs/ is the master chart
> > of versions.
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't include uclibc, but it's probably a good
> starting point.

hopefully at some point they will
-mike