Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/)
-   -   cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/59017-cross-compiler-powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu.html)

"maxime louvel" 03-19-2008 01:17 PM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
Hi,

I want to install a gentoo system on a mpc8548amc (powerpc based board from Freescale).
The board is following the powerpc standard (32bits) but has no Floating Point Unit.

Thus I have tryed to create a cross compiler powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu.

I have followed the gentoo handbok to do that.
I have been able to emere portage (after a sync) for my CHOST.

I have tried to
emerge baselayout glibc binutils

There is what I start encountering trouble...


Find enclosed the log provided.

My emerge --info is

Portage 2.1.4.4 (default-linux/ppc/ppc32, gcc-4.2.3, unavailable, 2.6.22-14-generic i686)
================================================== ===============

System uname: 2.6.22-14-generic i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz
Timestamp of tree: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:00:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:**** 3.2_p17-r1
dev-lang/python:**** 2.4.4-r9
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6

sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
sys-apps/sandbox:*** 1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:* 2.61-r1
sys-devel/automake:* 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:* 2.18-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4

sys-devel/libtool:** 1.5.26
virtual/os-headers:* 2.6.23-r3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -msoft-float"
CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"

CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -pipe -msoft-float"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo**** http://prometheus.cs.wmich.edu/gentoo**** http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo**** http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/"

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"

PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="minimal ppc" ALSA_CARDS="aoa aoa-fabric-layout aoa-onyx aoa-soundbus aoa-soundbus-i2s***** aoa-tas aoa-toonie powermac usb-audio via82xx" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="chips dummy fbdev glint imstt mach64 mga nv r128 radeon s3*** s3virge savage sisusb tdfx trident v4l voodoo"

Unset:* CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY


Can someone help me ?


Maxime

--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom

Jason 03-19-2008 01:56 PM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
maxime louvel wrote:
...

I want to install a gentoo system on a mpc8548amc (powerpc based board from
Freescale).
The board is following the powerpc standard (32bits) but has no Floating
Point Unit.


ok


Thus I have tryed to create a cross compiler powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu.
I have followed the gentoo handbok to do that.


I assume you mean the gentoo embedded handbook? [1]


I have been able to emere portage (after a sync) for my CHOST.

I have tried to
emerge baselayout glibc binutils

There is what I start encountering trouble...


From the error message, it look as though you were cross-emerging on
your host. Were you using the xmerge script in [1]?


At any rate, make sure to read Section 5 of [2] carefully:

"Warning: xmerge defaults to ROOT=$SYSROOT. Because SYSROOT is where the
cross toolchain is hosted on the host system, if you need to cross
emerge any toolchain components (i.e. gcc, system libc, binutils, kernel
headers, or gdb) for hosting on the target system, you do not want to
use ROOT=$SYSROOT; use the --root option to specify a different
directory instead. If you ignore this warning, you will end up
overwriting your cross toolchain with the target system's toolchain
components and breaking cross emerging completely, and the only way to
fix it will be to delete your SYSROOT directory and rebuild your cross
toolchain."


I looked for this warning in [1] and couldn't find it. Perhaps it
should be added? ;-)


So, if this looks like what happened to you, you'll need to start over.
Delete $SYSROOT, and crossdev -C the toolchain, then rebuild it.


Once that's done, you can either use INSTALL_MASK as suggested by [1],
or 'xmerge --root /tmp/newroot packagename' or do what I do, rsync it
out of $SYSROOT with a good rsync filter file.


hth,

Jason.

[1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
[2] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml

--
gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

"maxime louvel" 03-19-2008 02:01 PM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
Thanks a lot Jason,

I gonna start again

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net> wrote:

maxime louvel wrote:

...

> I want to install a gentoo system on a mpc8548amc (powerpc based board from

> Freescale).

> The board is following the powerpc standard (32bits) but has no Floating

> Point Unit.



ok



> Thus I have tryed to create a cross compiler powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu.

> I have followed the gentoo handbok to do that.



I assume you mean the gentoo embedded handbook? [1]*




> I have been able to emere portage (after a sync) for my CHOST.

>

> I have tried to

> emerge baselayout glibc binutils

>

> There is what I start encountering trouble...



*From the error message, it look as though you were cross-emerging on

your host. *Were you using the xmerge script in [1]?



At any rate, make sure to read Section 5 of [2] carefully:



"Warning: xmerge defaults to ROOT=$SYSROOT. Because SYSROOT is where the

cross toolchain is hosted on the host system, if you need to cross

emerge any toolchain components (i.e. gcc, system libc, binutils, kernel

headers, or gdb) for hosting on the target system, you do not want to

use ROOT=$SYSROOT; use the --root option to specify a different

directory instead. If you ignore this warning, you will end up

overwriting your cross toolchain with the target system's toolchain

components and breaking cross emerging completely, and the only way to

fix it will be to delete your SYSROOT directory and rebuild your cross

toolchain."



I looked for this warning in [1] and couldn't find it. *Perhaps it

should be added? ;-)



So, if this looks like what happened to you, you'll need to start over.

*Delete $SYSROOT, and crossdev -C the toolchain, then rebuild it.



Once that's done, you can either use INSTALL_MASK as suggested by [1],

or 'xmerge --root /tmp/newroot packagename' or do what I do, rsync it

out of $SYSROOT with a good rsync filter file.



hth,



Jason.



[1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

[2] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml



--

gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org mailing list





--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom

"maxime louvel" 03-20-2008 10:00 AM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
Hi again,

I have restart everything again :
- delete my SYSROOT directory
- clean my crossdev

and start again the gentoo embedded handbook.

I am using the xmerge script.

I have done the following command:


xmerge --root /home/newRoot baselayout glibc binutils

And I still get some compilation errors, see the log attached.

Any idead ???


cheers,
Maxime


On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM, maxime louvel <m.louvel@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks a lot Jason,

I gonna start again

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net> wrote:


maxime louvel wrote:

...

> I want to install a gentoo system on a mpc8548amc (powerpc based board from

> Freescale).

> The board is following the powerpc standard (32bits) but has no Floating

> Point Unit.



ok



> Thus I have tryed to create a cross compiler powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu.

> I have followed the gentoo handbok to do that.



I assume you mean the gentoo embedded handbook? [1]*




> I have been able to emere portage (after a sync) for my CHOST.

>

> I have tried to

> emerge baselayout glibc binutils

>

> There is what I start encountering trouble...



*From the error message, it look as though you were cross-emerging on

your host. *Were you using the xmerge script in [1]?



At any rate, make sure to read Section 5 of [2] carefully:



"Warning: xmerge defaults to ROOT=$SYSROOT. Because SYSROOT is where the

cross toolchain is hosted on the host system, if you need to cross

emerge any toolchain components (i.e. gcc, system libc, binutils, kernel

headers, or gdb) for hosting on the target system, you do not want to

use ROOT=$SYSROOT; use the --root option to specify a different

directory instead. If you ignore this warning, you will end up

overwriting your cross toolchain with the target system's toolchain

components and breaking cross emerging completely, and the only way to

fix it will be to delete your SYSROOT directory and rebuild your cross

toolchain."



I looked for this warning in [1] and couldn't find it. *Perhaps it

should be added? ;-)



So, if this looks like what happened to you, you'll need to start over.

*Delete $SYSROOT, and crossdev -C the toolchain, then rebuild it.



Once that's done, you can either use INSTALL_MASK as suggested by [1],

or 'xmerge --root /tmp/newroot packagename' or do what I do, rsync it

out of $SYSROOT with a good rsync filter file.



hth,



Jason.



[1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

[2] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml



--

gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org mailing list





--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom


--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom

"maxime louvel" 03-20-2008 10:04 AM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
Euh sorry,

it seems the log haven't been attached.

byt the way here is the result of my
xmerge --info

Portage 2.1.4.4 (default-linux/ppc/ppc32, gcc-4.2.3, unavailable, 2.6.22-14-generic i686)

================================================== ===============
System uname: 2.6.22-14-generic i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:00:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:**** 3.2_p17-r1

dev-lang/python:**** 2.4.4-r9
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
sys-apps/sandbox:*** 1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:* 2.61-r1
sys-devel/automake:* 1.10

sys-devel/binutils:* 2.18-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4
sys-devel/libtool:** 1.5.26
virtual/os-headers:* 2.6.23-r3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -msoft-float"

CHOST="powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -pipe -msoft-float"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"

FEATURES="distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo**** http://prometheus.cs.wmich.edu/gentoo**** http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo**** http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/"

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"

PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="minimal ppc" ALSA_CARDS="aoa aoa-fabric-layout aoa-onyx aoa-soundbus aoa-soundbus-i2s***** aoa-tas aoa-toonie powermac usb-audio via82xx" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="chips dummy fbdev glint imstt mach64 mga nv r128 radeon s3* s3virge savage sisusb tdfx trident v4l voodoo"

Unset:* CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY


On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:00 AM, maxime louvel <m.louvel@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi again,

I have restart everything again :
- delete my SYSROOT directory
- clean my crossdev


and start again the gentoo embedded handbook.

I am using the xmerge script.

I have done the following command:


xmerge --root /home/newRoot baselayout glibc binutils

And I still get some compilation errors, see the log attached.

Any idead ???


cheers,
Maxime



On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM, maxime louvel <m.louvel@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks a lot Jason,

I gonna start again

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net> wrote:



maxime louvel wrote:

...

> I want to install a gentoo system on a mpc8548amc (powerpc based board from

> Freescale).

> The board is following the powerpc standard (32bits) but has no Floating

> Point Unit.



ok



> Thus I have tryed to create a cross compiler powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu.

> I have followed the gentoo handbok to do that.



I assume you mean the gentoo embedded handbook? [1]*




> I have been able to emere portage (after a sync) for my CHOST.

>

> I have tried to

> emerge baselayout glibc binutils

>

> There is what I start encountering trouble...



*From the error message, it look as though you were cross-emerging on

your host. *Were you using the xmerge script in [1]?



At any rate, make sure to read Section 5 of [2] carefully:



"Warning: xmerge defaults to ROOT=$SYSROOT. Because SYSROOT is where the

cross toolchain is hosted on the host system, if you need to cross

emerge any toolchain components (i.e. gcc, system libc, binutils, kernel

headers, or gdb) for hosting on the target system, you do not want to

use ROOT=$SYSROOT; use the --root option to specify a different

directory instead. If you ignore this warning, you will end up

overwriting your cross toolchain with the target system's toolchain

components and breaking cross emerging completely, and the only way to

fix it will be to delete your SYSROOT directory and rebuild your cross

toolchain."



I looked for this warning in [1] and couldn't find it. *Perhaps it

should be added? ;-)



So, if this looks like what happened to you, you'll need to start over.

*Delete $SYSROOT, and crossdev -C the toolchain, then rebuild it.



Once that's done, you can either use INSTALL_MASK as suggested by [1],

or 'xmerge --root /tmp/newroot packagename' or do what I do, rsync it

out of $SYSROOT with a good rsync filter file.



hth,



Jason.



[1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

[2] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml



--

gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org mailing list





--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom


--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom


--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom

Jason 03-20-2008 02:42 PM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
maxime louvel wrote:
...

xmerge --root /home/newRoot baselayout glibc binutils

...

I assume this is pulling in a bunch of dependencies, including
findutils. Do you intend to build a full-blown system (no busybox) or a
minimal system (busybox and a few friends)? If you plan on using
busybox, then you want to xmerge that as well.


A good general rule of thumb (at least, it works for me ;-) ) is to
throw a '-pv' into each xmerge. eg:


xmerge --root /home/newRoot -pv baselayout glibc binutils

and see what it pulls in as dependencies. I then go to the top of the
list, let say baselayout is first, hypothetically. So I would then say:


xmerge --root /home/newRoot --nodeps baselayout

and then repeat for each package in the list that I actually want. Two
errors typically occur at this stage of the game.


1.) a missing runtime dependency, xmerge the dependency to newRoot.
2.) a missing compiletime dependency, xmerge the dependecy to SYSROOT.

The long and short of it is this: cross-compiling is a _much_ more acute
process, and it's best to take small steps through the initial build
than say 'xmerge --root $TGTROOT enlightenment' and hope for the best. :-)


hth,

Jason.
--
gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

"maxime louvel" 03-31-2008 09:39 AM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
Hi,

I have tried to start everything over again.
This time I have followed your advice and xmerge packages one by one.

I have been able to xmerge binutils like that.
But baselayout and glibc are still giving me headache...


Here is what I have after installing everything I have been able to :

For baselayout
----------------
xmerge --root /home/newroot2 -pv baselayout

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:


Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild* N*** ] sys-apps/findutils-4.3.11 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-nls (-selinux) -static" 0 kB
[ebuild* N*** ] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.4 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-old-linux" 0 kB

[ebuild** R** ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-bootstrap -build -static -unicode" 0 kB

Total: 3 packages (2 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

--------------

And for glibc:
---------------
xmerge --root /home/newroot2 -pv glibc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild* N*** ] sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-debug -gd -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) -nls -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 0 kB


Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
---------------


I have enclosed to this mail the results of the xmerge --root /home/newroot2 --nodeps for each needed package.
$package_name.build.log and $package_name.environment for each of them.

The build.log files contain only the last 100 lines (because of the size allowed for email....). If you'd like the whole ask me, I can send it alone (it is 9.7M)

I need to xmerge baselayout and glibc.

Indeed I have an embedded powerpc, without FPU. But it has 256 MB of RAM and for development purpose I am using NFS. Actually I would like to build a real gentoo on it in order to use it as a native environment and avoid all the cross compilation.


I haven't find any stage3 for powerpc, without FPU and glibc. I have tried to update a powerpc-softfloat-linux-uclibc but it misses a lot.

Any idea how I could fix my cross compilation problem ?
Or any idea of an another way of doing my installation ?


thx,

Maxime

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net> wrote:

maxime louvel wrote:

...

>> xmerge --root /home/newRoot baselayout glibc binutils

...



I assume this is pulling in a bunch of dependencies, including

findutils. *Do you intend to build a full-blown system (no busybox) or a

minimal system (busybox and a few friends)? *If you plan on using

busybox, then you want to xmerge that as well.



A good general rule of thumb (at least, it works for me ;-) ) is to

throw a '-pv' into each xmerge. *eg:



xmerge --root /home/newRoot -pv baselayout glibc binutils



and see what it pulls in as dependencies. *I then go to the top of the

list, let say baselayout is first, hypothetically. *So I would then say:



xmerge --root /home/newRoot --nodeps baselayout



and then repeat for each package in the list that I actually want. *Two

errors typically occur at this stage of the game.



1.) a missing runtime dependency, xmerge the dependency to newRoot.

2.) a missing compiletime dependency, xmerge the dependecy to SYSROOT.



The long and short of it is this: cross-compiling is a _much_ more acute

process, and it's best to take small steps through the initial build

than say 'xmerge --root $TGTROOT enlightenment' and hope for the best. :-)



hth,



Jason.

--

gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org mailing list





--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom

"maxime louvel" 04-02-2008 02:20 PM

cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
 
Does someone has any idea ???

thanks a lot

Maxime

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM, maxime louvel <m.louvel@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I have tried to start everything over again.
This time I have followed your advice and xmerge packages one by one.

I have been able to xmerge binutils like that.
But baselayout and glibc are still giving me headache...



Here is what I have after installing everything I have been able to :

For baselayout
----------------
xmerge --root /home/newroot2 -pv baselayout

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:



Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild* N*** ] sys-apps/findutils-4.3.11 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-nls (-selinux) -static" 0 kB
[ebuild* N*** ] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.4 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-old-linux" 0 kB


[ebuild** R** ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-bootstrap -build -static -unicode" 0 kB

Total: 3 packages (2 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB


--------------

And for glibc:
---------------
xmerge --root /home/newroot2 -pv glibc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild* N*** ] sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1 to /home/newroot2/ USE="-debug -gd -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) -nls -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 0 kB



Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
---------------


I have enclosed to this mail the results of the xmerge --root /home/newroot2 --nodeps for each needed package.
$package_name.build.log and $package_name.environment for each of them.


The build.log files contain only the last 100 lines (because of the size allowed for email....). If you'd like the whole ask me, I can send it alone (it is 9.7M)

I need to xmerge baselayout and glibc.

Indeed I have an embedded powerpc, without FPU. But it has 256 MB of RAM and for development purpose I am using NFS. Actually I would like to build a real gentoo on it in order to use it as a native environment and avoid all the cross compilation.



I haven't find any stage3 for powerpc, without FPU and glibc. I have tried to update a powerpc-softfloat-linux-uclibc but it misses a lot.

Any idea how I could fix my cross compilation problem ?
Or any idea of an another way of doing my installation ?



thx,

Maxime

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net> wrote:


maxime louvel wrote:

...

>> xmerge --root /home/newRoot baselayout glibc binutils

...



I assume this is pulling in a bunch of dependencies, including

findutils. *Do you intend to build a full-blown system (no busybox) or a

minimal system (busybox and a few friends)? *If you plan on using

busybox, then you want to xmerge that as well.



A good general rule of thumb (at least, it works for me ;-) ) is to

throw a '-pv' into each xmerge. *eg:



xmerge --root /home/newRoot -pv baselayout glibc binutils



and see what it pulls in as dependencies. *I then go to the top of the

list, let say baselayout is first, hypothetically. *So I would then say:



xmerge --root /home/newRoot --nodeps baselayout



and then repeat for each package in the list that I actually want. *Two

errors typically occur at this stage of the game.



1.) a missing runtime dependency, xmerge the dependency to newRoot.

2.) a missing compiletime dependency, xmerge the dependecy to SYSROOT.



The long and short of it is this: cross-compiling is a _much_ more acute

process, and it's best to take small steps through the initial build

than say 'xmerge --root $TGTROOT enlightenment' and hope for the best. :-)



hth,



Jason.

--

gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org mailing list





--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom


--
Maxime Louvel
0044 7964 5555 80
43 Allen road
Whitemore reans
WV60AW Wolverhampton
United Kingdom


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.