Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM
"Alexey Shvetsov"

Default pda.gentoo.ru: running Gentoo linux on arm handhelds

Hello!

I would like to attract your attention to results of our work on project
which aims to run Gentoo linux on hx4700 and some other pda's (zaurus
for example). Now we have working stages which are available at
http://pda.gentoo.ru. These stages are built using
armv5te-softfloat-linux-eabi toolchain (gcc-4.2.2, glibc-2.7,
binutils-2.18). Note, that already over year we are using eabi toolchain
which allows additional memory and performance benefit. As a kernel we
used hh-sources-2.6.21 (mainly based on handhelds.org cvs with
additional patches for cfs-v24 (completely fair scheduler) and some
other).

Since I have only hx4700 pda then all packages were built/rebuilt on it.
Avoidance of cross-compiler greatly simplifies building.

We have working X:

http://kmeaw.com/ipaq-gentoo/xfce.html
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kmeaw0&p=d

There are two variants of X implemented on pda:
1. Xorg server and evtouche driver for touchscreen
2. Xfbdev or Xw100 server + tslib

hx4700 has no hardware keyboard so we use screen one and (wow!) we have
handwriting recognition system with keyboard (cellwriter).

All our ebuilds are available in pda overlay (layman -a pda)
all binary packages available via
ftp://ftp.gentoo.ru/projects/handhelds/packages and
rsync://rsync.gentoo.ru/gentoo-pda-eabi-iwmmxt.

Additional info available on http://pda.gentoo.ru

Questions, comments are more then welcome.
--
Gentoo GNU/Linux 2.6.24 Dual Xeon

Mail to
alexxyum@gmail.com