Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
"Sven Mueller"

Default NSLU2 and update to a newer kernel

Hi all,

I will update my NSLU2 to an newer Kernel and newer kernel-headers.

Where I can find a ressource or howto that's help me.

My System: Portage: 2.1.3.19 (default-linux/arm, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.16 armv5teb)

Thanks for help.

Regards Sven

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Jason

Sven Mueller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will update my NSLU2 to an newer Kernel and newer kernel-headers.

Always fun.

> Where I can find a ressource or howto that's help me.

That depends on how you built it in the first place. What guide or
howto did you use?

> My System: Portage: 2.1.3.19 <http://2.1.3.19> (default-linux/arm,
> gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.16 armv5teb)
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> Regards Sven
>
> PS: Sorry for my bad english.

No problem.

Jason.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
"Sven Mueller"

Hi Jason,

I have no guide. My system exists a long time ago.

An 'emerge -upDv system' will downgrade my linux-headers to 2.4.33. What can I do??

Sven

2008/2/13, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net>:
Sven Mueller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will update my NSLU2 to an newer Kernel and newer kernel-headers.

Always fun.

> Where I can find a ressource or howto that's help me.

That depends on how you built it in the first place.**What guide or

howto did you use?

> My System: Portage: 2.1.3.19 <http://2.1.3.19> (default-linux/arm,
> gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.16 armv5teb)
>

> Thanks for help.
>
> Regards Sven
>
> PS: Sorry for my bad english.

No problem.

Jason.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Jason

A: No.

Sven Mueller wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I have no guide. My system exists a long time ago.
>
> An 'emerge -upDv system' will downgrade my linux-headers to 2.4.33.
> What can I do??

Is this on the NSLU2 or your development box?

Jason.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
"Sven Mueller"

A: No.

Sven Mueller wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I have no guide. My system exists a long time ago.
>
> An 'emerge -upDv system' will downgrade my linux-headers to 2.4.33.
> What can I do??

Is this on the NSLU2 or your development box?
On my NSLU2. I don't have a development box.

Jason.

Sven

Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
David Ford

Q. Should I expect people to follow my opinion of how messages are
formatted and make them scroll a growing number of pages for each new
email to reach the most recently typed content?
A. If I'm anal and feel people must oblige my opinion.

aka

Q. Should people limit their lines of text to less than 40 columns?
A. Not everyone has left the stone age of monochrome terminals that are
40 chars wide, so yes.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Ed W

David Ford wrote:

Q. Should I expect people to follow my opinion of how messages are
formatted and make them scroll a growing number of pages for each new
email to reach the most recently typed content?
A. If I'm anal and feel people must oblige my opinion.

Agreed - I tend to just write at the top for "normal" people and write
at the bottom when talking to technical people. Each will winge if you
do the opposite...

However, I did discover there is a plugin for Thunderbird called
something like quotecollapse which makes it possible to more easily read
the rantings of those who feel it's important to bottom post (basically
only the first line of each chunk of text is visible but you can unfold
the rest if you need to). Very neat idea!

Regards

Ed W

Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Jason

Sven Mueller wrote:
> 2008/2/13, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net <mailto:gentoo@lakedaemon.net>>:
>
> A: No.
> Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
>

> > 2008/2/13, Jason <gentoo@lakedaemon.net
> <mailto:gentoo@lakedaemon.net> <mailto:gentoo@lakedaemon.net
> <mailto:gentoo@lakedaemon.net>>>:
> >
> > Sven Mueller wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I will update my NSLU2 to an newer Kernel and newer
> kernel-headers.
> >
> > Always fun.
> >
> > > Where I can find a ressource or howto that's help me.
> >
> > That depends on how you built it in the first place. What
> guide or
> > howto did you use?
> >
> > > My System: Portage: 2.1.3.19 <http://2.1.3.19>
> <http://2.1.3.19> <http://2.1.3.19>
> > (default-linux/arm,
> > > gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.16 armv5teb)
> > >
> > > Thanks for help.
> > >
> > > Regards Sven
> > >
> > > PS: Sorry for my bad english.
> >
> > No problem.
> >
> > Jason.
> > --
> > gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org
> <mailto:gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org>
> > <mailto:gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org
> >

> Sven Mueller wrote:
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > I have no guide. My system exists a long time ago.
> >
> > An 'emerge -upDv system' will downgrade my linux-headers to 2.4.33.
> > What can I do??
>
> Is this on the NSLU2 or your development box?
>

> On my NSLU2. I don't have a development box.

I think you may have followed the instructions here [1]. Does that look
right?

Jason.

[1] - http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_on_NSLU2

Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 PM
"Sven Mueller"

I think you may have followed the instructions here [1].**Does that look
right?

No*, ich have my NSLU2 installed from a image that I found at forums.gentoo.org.
But the chapter "Compiling a kernel" from [1] looks very interesting.

*) I have build my NSLU2 with glibc.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Jason

Sven Mueller wrote:

> I think you may have followed the instructions here [1]. Does that look
> right?
>

> No*, ich have my NSLU2 installed from a image that I found at
> forums.gentoo.org <http://forums.gentoo.org>.
> But the chapter "Compiling a kernel" from [1] looks very interesting.

Cool, give it a try. Also, you may want to check your /etc/profile, eg:

# ls -l /etc/make.profile
/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007.0

An old profile can often force a 2.4.x kernel/kernel headers.

Also, when was the last time you updated portage?

If it becomes too difficult, I would suggest trying to rebuild from
scratch. The Gentoo Embedded Handbook [1] will give you a toolchain and
a basic build environment. Then, I use some of the nslu2-linux docs [2]
to test the image. When I have an image I like, the Redboot docs [3]
showed me how to burn the image to flash. At the very least, it's a
great way to learn embedded development. Also, cross-compiling on a
development host is _a_lot_ faster than compiling natively. ;-)

At the very least, you'll end up using [2] and [3] once you get your
kernel built.

hth,

Jason.

[1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/