Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
"Sven Mueller"

Default NSLU2 and update to a newer kernel

# ls -l /etc/make.profile
/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007.0

An old profile can often force a 2.4.x kernel/kernel headers.
My /etc/make.profile looks at /usr/portage/profile/linux-default/arm/2007.0

Also, when was the last time you updated portage?
Today, my Portage-Tree is up2date.

If it becomes too difficult, I would suggest trying to rebuild from
scratch.**The Gentoo Embedded Handbook [1] will give you a toolchain and
a basic build environment.**Then, I use some of the nslu2-linux docs [2]

to test the image.**When I have an image I like, the Redboot docs [3]
showed me how to burn the image to flash.**At the very least, it's a
great way to learn embedded development. Also, cross-compiling on a
development host is _a_lot_ faster than compiling natively.**;-)

At the very least, you'll end up using [2] and [3] once you get your
kernel built.
I have masked all linux-headers beside version 2.6.16 and my update looks very good.
An update from kernel and kernel-headers I will give a try in the course of time.

[1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

[2] - http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TestAnImageInRamUsingRedBoot
[3] - http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/flash-image-system.html

Thx for any hints.

Sven

Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, David Ford wrote:
> Q. Should I expect people to follow my opinion of how messages are
> formatted and make them scroll a growing number of pages for each new
> email to reach the most recently typed content?
> A. If I'm anal and feel people must oblige my opinion.

if you cant conform to common e-mail etiquette and proper quoting guidelines,
dont post. that includes never using top posting and only quoting relevant
portions of an e-mail rather than the whole thing.

if you want to rally against the man, go post to usenet. or a blog. the
Gentoo mailing lists follow the guidelines Jason hinted at, end of story.
-mike

Old 02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Natanael Copa

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 11:10 -0500, David Ford wrote:
> Q. Should I expect people to follow my opinion of how messages are
> formatted and make them scroll a growing number of pages for each new
> email to reach the most recently typed content?
> A. If I'm anal and feel people must oblige my opinion.

You have never used mailing list archives, have you?

-nc