Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 PM
wireless

Default Best (US) carrier for eGentoo on Cell ?

Hello,

I just looked here:
[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/CDMA

I have not kept up with the latest offerings that
purport to allow users control (embedded Gentoo)
over the operating system on their cell phones.

So what is the best phone/network-access to purchase ?

Previously it was T-mobile (here in the US) but
with their pending merger with ATT and LTE looming,
maybe we should wait on full LTE compliance?

Any discussion is most welcome. This inquiry is
motivated by the recent thread about Openmoko and Gentoo.

[2] http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/wiki/native-compiling

[3]
http://kiransway.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/htc-thunderbolt-–-4g-lte-mobile-from-verizon-to-hit-the-us-market-by-march-17/

[4]
http://www.fiercewireless.com/ctialive/story/zte-launch-lte-products-us-later-year/2011-03-23

[5] http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/68993

[6]

Lots of noise, causes me to ask this pedestrian question
on this list: Which phone and which network are best
if your primary issue is using eGentoo on the phone?

James

Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 PM
elmar bucher

Hi James,

Well neo freerunner is maybe relative an old phone. Here in Europe I i
got it whit debug board (but whit out microSD card) about two month
ago form http://pulster.de/ (Really pleasant store!)

I just purchase it because of the spirit. Because I like to learn
about phones, stacks, and own the hardware. Why should I buy closed
hardware if there is free one around? My decision was to support the
manufacturers who support free technologies.
In the long run I would like to use this as my daily phone.

I was happy to find a gentoo distro on the openmoko wiki page:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page
No experience if there is an other phone where you can install eGentoo to it.
maybe nexus-s or android-dev? I just googled a bit around:
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6557341.html?sid=c076eae8e6f195d8f718766b7be8f533
http://benvd.be/gentoo-nexus-s/

No idea about the network access in the US.

So much about my thoughts.
Best Wishes, Elmar

--
Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?8754.