FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Embedded

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Kfir Lavi
 
Default Gentoo on TI embedded ARM board - is it possible?

Hi,
I'm looking on this embedded board TMS320DM365.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320dm365.html

Does someone here have some experience running Gentoo on this board or similar one?


What will be the difficulties running creating the OS for this board?
The application is a video processing.

Thanks,
Kfir
 
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Manuel Lauss
 
Default Gentoo on TI embedded ARM board - is it possible?

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking on this embedded board TMS320DM365.
> http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320dm365.html
>
> Does someone here have some experience running Gentoo on this board or
> similar one?
> What will be the difficulties running creating the OS for this board?

Get a stage3 for ARM9; there's also support for the 365 eval board in linux
(and has been for quite a while now), so you should have no problems
getting it up and running.

Manuel
 
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM
"Dennis.Yxun"
 
Default Gentoo on TI embedded ARM board - is it possible?

HI Kfir:
* Haven't look at the URL you provided..
But I have ran Gentoo on beagleboard.. (Armv7, cotex-a8)
Also armin76 write one article about running gentoo on pandaboard
* No special difficulties


Dennis


On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking on this embedded board TMS320DM365.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320dm365.html


Does someone here have some experience running Gentoo on this board or similar one?


What will be the difficulties running creating the OS for this board?
The application is a video processing.

Thanks,
Kfir
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Kfir Lavi
 
Default Gentoo on TI embedded ARM board - is it possible?

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss@googlemail.com> wrote:


On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking on this embedded board TMS320DM365.

> http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320dm365.html

>

> Does someone here have some experience running Gentoo on this board or

> similar one?

> What will be the difficulties running creating the OS for this board?



Get a stage3 for ARM9; there's also support for the 365 eval board in linux

(and has been for quite a while now), so you should have no problems

getting it up and running.



Manuel



Thanks,
I'm really happy to hear that.

Kfir
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Kfir Lavi
 
Default Gentoo on TI embedded ARM board - is it possible?

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Dennis.Yxun <dennis.yxun@gmail.com> wrote:


HI Kfir:
* Haven't look at the URL you provided..
But I have ran Gentoo on beagleboard.. (Armv7, cotex-a8)
Also armin76 write one article about running gentoo on pandaboard
* No special difficulties




Dennis


On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:



Hi,
I'm looking on this embedded board TMS320DM365.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320dm365.html




Does someone here have some experience running Gentoo on this board or similar one?


What will be the difficulties running creating the OS for this board?
The application is a video processing.

Thanks,
Kfir




Thanks,
Here is the article Armin wrote:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/pandaboard/install.xml

Kfir
 
Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Jan Kobler
 
Default Gentoo on TI embedded ARM board - is it possible?

Hi,

1. You should also consider Openembedded www.openembedded.org.
This is a true cross-compilation framework. You can take a fast
multicore x86_64 host and build software for all kind of targets.

The build-tool bitbake was inspired by Portage:
http://docs.openembedded.org/bitbake/html/ch01.html

The config files for the supported hardware are:
http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/conf/machine

The TMS320DM356 is supported by
conf/machine/dm365-evm.conf
http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/conf/machine/dm365-evm.conf

Just set
MACHINE="dm365-evm"
DISTRO="angstrom-2010.x"
in your local.conf file and call
bitbake minimal-image

But I have not yet built for the target dm365-evm.

The description how I have used Openembedded for the i.MX35 is:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Phytec_phyCORE-iMX35/Openembedded
and for the MPC5125 is:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Freescale_TWR-MPC5125/Openembedded

2. I have tried to use Gentoo for cross compilation on x86_64 or x86
hosts for arm and ppc targets. There has been always at least one
software package which cannot be cross-compiled. You have to fix this
before you can go on.

The description how I have tried to cross-compile Gentoo for the i.MX35
is: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Phytec_phyCORE-iMX35/Gentoo/Desktop

3. You can try to use qemu and emulate the native cross-compilation
as described in
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/index.xml?part=1&chap=5

4. You can compile native on the target by using stage3, but are you
sure that you want to do it all the time? Do you have enough memory
there? Do you have swap space? Is the CPU fast enough?
Do you have always the right board at hand?

5. There is also another true cross-compilation framework from
Pengutronix http://pengutronix.de/index_en.html. The description how I
have used it for the i.MX35 is:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Phytec_phyCORE-iMX35/Pengutronix/Embedded

Pengutronix supports ARM, but I don't know, if it already supports the
TMS320DM365.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Jan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org