Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Default crossdev conflict between sys-libs/glibc and cross-arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/glibc?

I installed the following toolchain with crossdev:
arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
which installs glibc into /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/ under the
name cross-arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/glibc

I then installed udev, which depends on sys-fs/glibc

As far as I know sys-fs/glibc is already installed into SYSROOT, except
with a different name as mentioned above.

I noted that the two installs of glibc had the same version, so I went
ahead with the installation anyway. Sure enough portage reported a bunch
of file collisions.

I'm guessing that the solution is to move SYSROOT into another
directory. I think I've seen how to do this in some documentation, but I
can't find it anymore. Would setting SYSROOT to another directory
separate the two glibc installs? I was also wondering if it was possible
to ask portage to install packages and build filesystem in directories
owned by users. The advantage of which is to let users create their own
filesystems in more a of a sandbox environment.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 AM
solar

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 14:13 -0500, chris@basementcode.com wrote:
> I installed the following toolchain with crossdev:
> arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
> which installs glibc into /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/ under the
> name cross-arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/glibc
>
> I then installed udev, which depends on sys-fs/glibc
>
> As far as I know sys-fs/glibc is already installed into SYSROOT, except
> with a different name as mentioned above.
>
> I noted that the two installs of glibc had the same version, so I went
> ahead with the installation anyway. Sure enough portage reported a bunch
> of file collisions.

We disable collision-protect iirc for the wrappers crossdev now
provides.

--
solar <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux

Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Christopher Harvey

I installed the following toolchain with crossdev:
arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
which installs glibc into /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/ under the
name cross-arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/glibc

I then installed udev, which depends on sys-fs/glibc

As far as I know sys-fs/glibc is already installed into SYSROOT, except
with a different name as mentioned above.

I noted that the two installs of glibc had the same version, so I went
ahead with the installation anyway. Sure enough portage reported a bunch
of file collisions.

We disable collision-protect iirc for the wrappers crossdev now
provides.
yes, I was able to install the package without any real problems. Still
wondering about the overall correctness issue.
Seems to me like there should be a way to separate toolchain libraries
from the others.