Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Christopher Friedt

Default gcc-4.6 / bionic

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> if you installed portage-utils, you could use `qlist`. *and if you used binary
> packages, you could use `qmerge` to manage things. *should be simpler than
> python + emerge ...

Oh, i know... portage-utils is great, i've used it for a long time. I
tried to build it on bionic, but portage-utils requires a few features
in glibc that don't exist in bionic (yet) - glob.h, etc. Then I ended
up just statically linking (from i686-pc-linux-gnu), but it still
wasn't working for, e.g. "qlist jamvm".

I guess what I'll be started with (after ~Tuesday) is rebuilding
everything from scratch using my overlay, adding any remaining patches
/ ironing out any bugs, and then making a public overlay.

Mike, where do you suggest I make the overlay? I was thinking to put
it up on sf.net since they've had git access for a while. That will do
until o.g.o picks up (if they do).

Cheers,

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Ed W

On 15/05/2011 16:25, Christopher Friedt wrote:

> Mike, where do you suggest I make the overlay? I was thinking to put
> it up on sf.net since they've had git access for a while.

Whenever the answer is sf.net, I tend to think it's the wrong answer.
Slow and sluggish is my mental association with sf.net

If the question is "git repo" then my first thought is github since they
do it well (others may think of gitorious first).

Github used to have very weak project management facilities around it
(can't say I like the sf.net ones though). However, recently I have
seen several projects actually switch from high end PM sites such as
lighthouse for the new github issues system - suggests that it's
improved recently?

Good luck

Ed W

Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Peter Stuge

Ed W wrote:
> > Mike, where do you suggest I make the overlay? I was thinking to put
> > it up on sf.net since they've had git access for a while.
>
> Whenever the answer is sf.net, I tend to think it's the wrong answer.

Agree. Take a look at their EULA. If you need a hosted git repo I'm
happy to help.

//Peter

Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Christopher Friedt

I guess sf.net only makes sense for distributing source as a tarball
(i.e. SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/${PN}/${P}.tar.bz2"), so that's
probably pointless here.

I usually use gitorious, personally, and I've never really had a
problem with it.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Christopher Friedt

I've made tarball snapshots of the portage overlay (i.e. all source),
sysroot, and toolchain available here[1].

A gitorious project has been set up here[2], but I'm not going to
check-in the overlay until a bit more testing is done.

I've also set up a blog to make announcements here[3], and will be
making the first post after checking the overlay into gitorious and
after one or two people can reproduce the build.

Incidentally, if anyone here has an amd64 or x86 arch running Linux
and would like to do take it for a test drive, download the sysroot
from [1], unpack to /usr/i686-pc-linux-bionic and then run the
following:

===================================
#!/bin/sh

for i in proc sys dev tmp; do
mount -o bind /${i} /usr/i686-pc-linux-bionic/${i}
done

chroot /usr/i686-pc-linux-bionic /bin/sh
===================================

Cheers,

[1] http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-bionic
[2] https://gitorious.org/gentoo-bionic
[3] http://gentoo-bionic.blogspot.com

Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Christopher Friedt

Incidentally, if you try to recreate the toolchain, please use the following:

#!/bin/sh

export PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/crossdev-overlay"
export PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY}
/usr/local/portage/gentoo-bionic-overlay"

emerge =sys-devel/crossdev-20110310 =sys-devel/gnuconfig-20100924

crossdev
-S
--g 4.6.0
--target i686-pc-linux-bionic

Cheers,

Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Peter Stuge

Christopher Friedt wrote:
> chroot /usr/i686-pc-linux-bionic /bin/sh

I chrooted in on x86 without mounting, with mixed results:

# chroot /tmp/i686-pc-linux-bionic-20110518 /bin/sh
/ # ls
Illegal instruction
/ # bin/ls
bin dev etc lib mnt proc root sbin sys tmp usr var
/ # which ls
Illegal instruction
/ # which
BusyBox v1.18.3 (2011-05-08 21:14:36 EDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: which [COMMAND]...

Locate a COMMAND

/ # echo $PATH
Illegal instruction
x40 tmp # (back out of chroot now; sh crashed)

//Peter

Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Christopher Friedt

Hi Peter,

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> I chrooted in on x86 without mounting, with mixed results:

I bet it's the syscall enumeration. I am doing my development on an
amd64 arch. Oddly, x86 and x86_64 have different syscalls in some
cases.

I guess I'll be rolling another arch momentarily.

Thanks for testing!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Christopher Friedt

Hi Peter

I just set up a new vmware image runing gentoo (i686) and didn't run
into any of the illegal instruction issues that you mentioned. I did,
however, mount proc, sys, & dev before entering the chroot. Actually,
even when I didn't have them mounted, it was still working fine.

I am running things in VMware though, so if I get a chance in the next
little bit, I'll run it on my older 32-bit workstation.

Cheers, and thanks again for the feedback.