Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default gcc-4.6 / bionic

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 22:39:48 Christopher Friedt wrote:
>> put together an ebuild for bionic, add support to crossdev to mark *-bionic
>> targets to use the bionic ebuild, and that's about it.
>
> I already added the relevent bits to crossdev, and I'm still putting
> together a bionic ebuild.

feel free to post to the list once you've got that

>> you could add your own KEYWORD, but doesnt seem like it'd be worth it.
>
> definitely not, but I might need to add some rules in
> /usr/portage/profiles to mask certain flags / packages.

that makes sense ... maybe profiles/embedded/bionic/ ...

> So are there no other hidden gems that pivot on ELIBC?

not really. just make sure you add it to profiles/desc/elibc.desc.
-mike

Old 04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Christopher Friedt

Hrrmm... gnuconfig has alreaded added linux-android* upstream for
their system types in config.sub but using 'android' as a descriptor
for the libc really wouldn't make sense if it wasn't an Android
system.

It would probably be prudent to add linux-android* | linux-bionic* ...
there are a few significant differences. I guess the main
differentiators would be FHS (android prefixes everything with
/system), support for /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/resolv.conf,
crypt(3), getpwnam(3), getgrnam(3), and essentially any other missing
feature that people might want to add in the future.

They also don't have an entry in config.guess for LIBC=android (or
LIBC=bionic). Something like this would work.

# ifdef __BIONIC__
# ifdef __ANDROID__
LIBC=android
# else
LIBC=bionic
# endif
# else
LIBC=gnu
# endif

I'll add a gnuconfig revision with those changes in my overlay.

To me, it just makes sense to differentiate this way... of should
still be possible to build an Android toolchain, so I'll add
IUSE=android to the bionic ebuild. The bionic ebuild is otherwise
done, but I still have to add something for
crosscompile_opts_headers-only before it works with crossdev.

Cheers,

Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday, April 10, 2011 09:43:09 Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Hrrmm... gnuconfig has alreaded added linux-android* upstream for
> their system types in config.sub but using 'android' as a descriptor
> for the libc really wouldn't make sense if it wasn't an Android
> system.

if that's the way upstream gnuconfig/gcc has gone, then it doesnt make much
sense to try and fight the tide. it's just a name.
-mike

Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Christopher Friedt

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> if that's the way upstream gnuconfig/gcc has gone, then it doesnt make much
> sense to try and fight the tide. *it's just a name.

Meh, I'm not really focusing on the 'Android' userspace right now
anyway, but the patches were easy enough. My bionic ebuild currently
does not distinguish between -android* and -bionic*. I'm mainly
interested in getting a Gentoo userspace up and running in any case.

I just successfully got a gcc / bionic cross-toolchain built with
crossdev (no c++ yet). x86_64-pc-linux-gnu -> x86_64-pc-linux-bionic.
The toolchain is okay aside from linking. It's still looking for the
glibc-type crt files. For bionic they're named differently and there
isn't an exact 1-1 mapping: crtend_android.o, crtbegin_so.o,
crtend_so.o, crtbegin_static.o. It would be nice.

Also, my bionic ebuild currently leverages the Android build system
heavily, which I would prefer _not_ to do, but it seems
counter-productive right now to reinvent the wheel with autotools.
(volunteers?)

Is anyone interested in having a look yet? I guess I could post it on
gitorious as a layman overlay.

Cheers,

Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Christopher Friedt

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Christopher Friedt
<chrisfriedt@gmail.com> wrote:
> crtend_so.o, crtbegin_static.o. It would be nice.

That should read "it would be nice to have linking work before it
really goes public."

Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
"Arkadi Shishlov"

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:11:04 +0300, Christopher Friedt