Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Christopher Friedt

Default gcc-4.6 / bionic

Has anyone on the list started experimenting with building a bionic
libc cross-toolchain yet with gcc-4.6 [1]?

... seems fairly interesting.

I just finished a small project that put together a fairly minimal
bionic rootfs with nothing but the libc, libstdc++, libm, jamvm,
gnu-classpath, dropbear, & busybox. I was surprised at how well things
actually worked (both arm and x86_64).

Surely there will continue to be some regressions. For example, bionic
traps SIGUSR1 for debugging purposes - so any other binary that uses
that for signalling will need to change it to SIGUSR2. Patching the
build system was fairly straight forward.

I think doing a cross-toolchain with crossdev might even be do-able...
just apply a couple of patches to android's build/ tree, build libc,
libm, libstdc++.

It would be freaking sweet to just be able to 'emerge' libraries for
Android instead of going through the often painful process of
retooling it for Android.mk. It would an accomplishment to bootstrap
gcc, that's for sure.

armv7a-neon-linux-bionic-emerge world

;-)

Cheers,