Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Martin Gysel

Default qmerge and friend

Hi

I tied to use qmerge on my 'embedded' system (well for the moment it
runs from a usb stick...). I don't have the portage tree there nor any
profile. Unfortunately qmerge exits with:
merge: chdir(portage) failed: No such file or directory
then I set some more variabls in make.conf like PORTAGE_TMPDIR etc. but
there's still some 'info' missing.
what variables do I have to set to have it run?

rgds
martin

Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:18:39 Martin Gysel wrote:
> I tied to use qmerge on my 'embedded' system (well for the moment it
> runs from a usb stick...). I don't have the portage tree there nor any
> profile.

the profile is necessary to convey fundamental information such as ARCH and
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. and to a lesser degree, the system packages and default USE
flags. without a profile, you need to manually set all of those.

i guess we could tweak the qmerge code to not walk the profile if people
provide ARCH and such themselves ...
-mike

Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Ed W

On 17/03/2011 01:56, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:18:39 Martin Gysel wrote:
>> I tied to use qmerge on my 'embedded' system (well for the moment it
>> runs from a usb stick...). I don't have the portage tree there nor any
>> profile.
>
> the profile is necessary to convey fundamental information such as ARCH and
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. and to a lesser degree, the system packages and default USE
> flags. without a profile, you need to manually set all of those.
>
> i guess we could tweak the qmerge code to not walk the profile if people
> provide ARCH and such themselves ...
> -mike

Is it sufficient to "fake" the profile by simply having a profile path?
Everything else defined in make.conf?

If not, what might be the minimal set of files in profile required? (I
guess they could mostly be empty?)

Cheers

Ed W

Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Martin Gysel

Am 17.03.2011 02:56, schrieb Mike Frysinger:
> i guess we could tweak the qmerge code to not walk the profile if people
> provide ARCH and such themselves ...

I think that would be a good idea (less 'unneeded' files on the
target...). maybe combined with a script which walks through the profile
tree extracting all the necessary parameters and putting them in
make.conf...

/martin

Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 AM
solar

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 08:26 +0000, Ed W wrote:
> On 17/03/2011 01:56, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:18:39 Martin Gysel wrote:
> >> I tied to use qmerge on my 'embedded' system (well for the moment it
> >> runs from a usb stick...). I don't have the portage tree there nor any
> >> profile.
> >
> > the profile is necessary to convey fundamental information such as ARCH and
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. and to a lesser degree, the system packages and default USE
> > flags. without a profile, you need to manually set all of those.
> >
> > i guess we could tweak the qmerge code to not walk the profile if people
> > provide ARCH and such themselves ...
> > -mike
>
> Is it sufficient to "fake" the profile by simply having a profile path?
> Everything else defined in make.conf?

qmerge only ever required a minimal /etc/make.conf ; What Mike points
out is we can probably accept it from the env also.

--
solar <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux