-   -   Marvell switch 6131 and the DSA driver (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-embedded/478235-marvell-switch-6131-dsa-driver.html)

Peter Stuge 01-18-2011 09:30 PM

Kfir Lavi wrote:
> > do you have a manual for the board? what does it say about what
> > you can do with the usb link?
>
> We have configured this board via USB using windows, so I guess I
> should be able to use the board over USB.

You should be able to also configure the board over USB using Linux
of course. But if Windows with vendor software did not expose a
networking interface for the switch then Linux probably also can not.

I find it very likely that the USB interface is only for
configuration and not actual network packets.

It is definately possible to have USB network interfaces, but that
is not something that would be built-in to a switch. Can you look at
the board and identify some chips? If not, maybe you can post a
high-resolution photo where chip markings are visible? Then people
with good experience from the chips could help you identify what
chips are being used, and make some informed guesses about
capabilities of the different interfaces.

(Assuming that there is no information about what you can and can not
do in documentation or otherwise available from the vendor, in which
case that would of course be a much more efficient source of
information. :)

//Peter

Kfir Lavi 01-20-2011 09:32 AM

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Kfir Lavi wrote:
>> > do you have a manual for the board? what does it say about what
>> > you can do with the usb link?
>>
>> We have configured this board via USB using windows, so I guess I
>> should be able to use the board over USB.
>
> You should be able to also configure the board over USB using Linux
> of course. But if Windows with vendor software did not expose a
> networking interface for the switch then Linux probably also can not.
>
> I find it very likely that the USB interface is only for
> configuration and not actual network packets.

Yes you right. Windows also see it as a Marvel evaluation board
but not a network interface. When using Marvell's software on
Windows, then we see that the port is using SMI
(which is the configuration interface).

> It is definately possible to have USB network interfaces, but that
> is not something that would be built-in to a switch. Can you look at
> the board and identify some chips? If not, maybe you can post a
> high-resolution photo where chip markings are visible? Then people
> with good experience from the chips could help you identify what
> chips are being used, and make some informed guesses about
> capabilities of the different interfaces.
>
> (Assuming that there is no information about what you can and can not
> do in documentation or otherwise available from the vendor, in which
> case that would of course be a much more efficient source of
> information. :)

I'm not able to do that, as we are signed on NDA with them, and I just
don't know what is right and what is wrong.

I just wanted this to work over usb as a quick hack, but I think I'll wait
for it to be soldered to my cpu.

> //Peter

Regards,
Kfir